Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Modulus FB5 today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, I did some trading, traded off my Stingray 5 even up for a Modulus Flea bass 5 string. I know this is definitley the first night of honeymoon stage, but I think this is quite possibly the best bass I have ever played. Neck feels awesome! Graphite is a new thing for me, but I am liking it so far. This bass is very light, much lighter than my SR-5, and whales lighter than my Spector. Hardware is top notch, and the tuners are the best I have ever turned....tight and SMOOTH. It has the single Lane Poor Humbucker, and I am unsure on what pre this has......it has a small circuit boardmaybe an inch and a half long, and normal wired pots from there. Action is perfect. As for how it sounds in comparison to a stingray, well it is actually closer sounding to a L2500. This thing gets some RUDE tone! IMO, it kicks the balls off of a stingray sound, with a heavy attack, this thing does some cussing. I couldn't be happier with the bass....I really think this one is a keeper.

Now for the bad news, UPS can go..........whatever themselves. I got the box nice and beat up, and thanks to a classic UPS slam dunk or two, I have a nice crack from the neck joint. It appears to only be through the finish (Man I hope), but it still pisses me off. I asked the seller to please ship fedex, which he claimed he did, but the man in brown dropped it off today. The bass was put into a factory bass guitar box, filled with peanuts, and in a nice padded gig bag. It was insured for a grand, but I really don't want to give it up. And knowing UPS, they wil deny the claim anyway, saying it wasn't packed to their specs. Really pisses me off, but what can I do?????? :(

This isn't the first time something like this has happened from UPS. I got 2 basses in one day a couple months ago. I got my Czech Spector from Fedex, which the carrier nicely carried it in, and set it down. I got my Essex about an hour later, and the guy walked into the shop, and slammed it on the floor, dropped one end downto the floor standing upright, and just let it fall flat from there. Did I mention I HATE UPS?????

[​IMG]

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Here is the UPS "Boner of the week" nominee!

[​IMG]

3. Yes, UPS lost my trombone and destroyed a friends brand new Eden Metro. The rates are much higher than Fedex too. Why ship UPS? Got me.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've actually been thinking about a FB5 myself, because I like the 34" scale neck. How wide is the neck? What's the string spacing at the bridge?
    How's the B? Is it a famous Modulus B? Or just average?

And I believe you have an Aggie OBP-1 preamp. That's what stock in the ones from MF, and I suspect MF didn't go outta their way for those, so I suspect that's what you got. Either that a bart 2 band.

The important question: can you get a P tone? Something resembling a P?

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    The neck is a hair wider than a stingray 5, and a little less rounded. I loved the SR5 neck, and this one even feels better to my hands. String spacing at the bridge seems to be about the same as an SR5, while a tad wider at the nut.....great feel overall.

The best B I think I have ever heard. My last Stingray 5 held that honor, up until I got this bass. Nice and tight, and has a piano like sound.

I'm not sure, this was manufactured in 99, so it is probably a bart preamp. The Lane Poor makes all the difference. I played the same bass at Mars a while back that had a bart Pickup, and I couldn't get close to the same tone as this one has. LP RULES!

Well, not greatly close, but closer than a stingray could get. The bass is very sensitive to playing attack, and my personal style gets tones from varying attacks. I like this bass! Did I mention I HATE UPS?

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Are you sure that crack wasnt from the previous owner? Could have been there before it was shipped. If it was in a case and tossed around I really doubt it would crack, unless it was from exposure to the elements while in route.

It does look nice though!!! Bet it sounds even better!

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    ANBassist,
    I'd definetly file a claim. It may take a few days (or weeks) but UPS (or OPPS) needs to make it right. I believe the indivdual that shipped the instrument has to file the claim. Proving the instrument wasn't damaged prior to shipment might be the biggest challange you'd face. If the seller has some pictures of the instrument prior to shipment that would certainly help (and it would probably make you feel better about their honesty also).
    Nice bass though!:)

8. Actually, FedEx Ground is cheaper than UPS, but they're not any better IMHO. FedEx Express kicks ass, though, but they're more expensive than UPS.