Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my new BTB, odd tone.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hater-ade, May 4, 2003.

1. hater-ade

hater-ade

Feb 11, 2003
    I got my Ibanez BTB405QM about a week ago. It's an awesome looking bass but.... The B string (mainly) seems to have some odd tonal characteristics about it. When i play and open note on it, it seems to have this odd oscillating tone to it, almost like i have a slow chorus effect on it. This is hard to describe, but at the instant i hit the open B, it is very quiet, then about a second or two later it rises to the volume it should be at, then begins to oscillate a bit. Has anyone ever had a problem like this? Maybe this has something to do with the 35" scale, as fretted notes on the B seem to sound ok, nice and solid.

The intonation/action is set up pretty well on the bass, well it looks pretty good to me and i checked the intonation with a tuner, and ive tried all settings on the knobs, but this problem still occurs.

I should add the the G,D and A strings also seem to have a slight chorus effect on open notes, but i can live with that. The E string seems to be fine. The batteries in the bass are also fine. I have tried a different B string on it, still the same problem. I dont think it is the pick-ups either because when i bring my ear close to the string unamplified, it still sort of has that sound.

I'm hoping that this all just a set-up problem...

Thanks for any help!

-Kyle

2. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    I think I got the same thing with mine. I get somethng wierd. I dont need the too much but I am trashing my old songs and starting new ones. I am gonna go for an artistic sound but It will be heavy too. I wanna find a bas that does this.

back 2 yer ? though, Maybe it' hw Ibanez makes their 5's. I played a bunch, well 3 and they all sounded like that or I am dumb and trust, I get straight 65's in skule.

3. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I've had that problem with basses before and in my experience it has just been the strings. I suggest you get a set of tapered core strings..

4. check if your pickups are too close to the strings. If they are too close the strings will have that "chorus" sound. If thats no the case then, I don't know. hope i helped:D

5. hater-ade

hater-ade

Feb 11, 2003
    I went back to the place i got it and had them do a full and proper set up on my bass, now it sounds awesome!! The B string is very solid now and so are the rest of the strings. This thing can reallllly growl now!

Thanks for your replies anyways :)

6. I'm gld youre finally happy with it.. And enjoy that growl!;)