Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my new cab... just don't know what it is

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    So, folks, I gave up my attempt to build a cabinet myself, and instead I bought a used 115... just don't know who it was made by:confused: :( :D Could anyone help?

As for a description: it's a 115 cab, there is an emblem on the back that says

H||H
    electronics

And there's an emblem on the grill, at bottom right, it says 115 P.A.

The emblem on the back also says that it's 8 ohms, 100 Watts and was made in England (Cambridge) (it was made sometime around the 70s).
    Otherwise it's a quite interesting design: it's got a horn (therefore it's got a nice sound - lots of low end) and what the interesting thing is that there's a tube (like a vent tube) in the horn that opens to the bottom and it acts a bit like a subwoofer on stages (at least that's what I think it does).

So, does anyone know what it is? I wanna know in case I have to change the speaker, what other to put in (what the Thiele-Schmall parameters are) and if the company is still making similar speakers.

Any replies are welcome. Thanks;)

Sorry, it had to be edited, that logo (H||H) just didn't look right.

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    It was most like made by the "HH Amplification Company" in England. They were bought out by Laney somewhere around 1989, who use "HH" speakers in all of there combo amps and cabinets.

Other than that, I know very little about the company. Maybe some of our friends across the pond can help out.

Peace,

- Frank.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks, Frank!

-Frank (me too!:D )

4. I just cross on this forum because I have some HH. I made the box myself in the 80s. As a PA with horns at (for) med&high freq and for the HH's one horn made of wood. My HH's are "disco", fullranges/low end. DC100LW's, 100W, Fs 60Hz, 99Db, 12'', 50-13.000Hz Range.

Do you have references for your speakers, Frank, in the back of the speaker, in the back of the magnets? Try get it! (Maybe I can help you some way, I don't know the Thiele-Schmall parameters. Did they existed 20 years ago from factory?) :confused:

Do you have a picture(s) of the cabs and horn and vent? I'd like see yours, I also made a horn in front of the speaker. It sounds great. 20 years old. :eek:

HH Acoustics, Cambridge
    http://www.laney.co.uk/intro.html
    http://www.majelectronic.co.uk/
    MAJ says:
    "In 1990 old friends Laney Electronics acquired the HH company of Cambridge and invited Michael to purchase the obsolete stock of this company, and look after the spares and servicing of the old models."
    Get the POWER! :hyper:

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Your cab is probably a PA cab...thus the "PA" on the back :cool: