Got my new Carvin Elite

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TK65, Nov 11, 2005.

1. TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    In case you haven't seen this already on HC or on the Carvin Museum Forums...

Now, I'm sure some of you are gonna say "that's the ugliest thing I've ever seen". It's OK. Really. I know my tastes are a But I love it.

It a Bunny Brunel model, dressed up in Carvin's new "Elite" package, which includes a quilted top & back, and top and back of the headstock, matching truss rod cover, and 5-piece body and headstock. Other features of mine are a 5-piece all-maple neck, maple body, abalone blocks, Hipshot detuner, single HB pickup with piezo bridge & chrome hardware. I also ordered the early 90's "pointy" headstock, with the Bunny logo on the back. The finish is Dragonburst, which is much cooler in person (the pics are slightly overexposed).

It sounds amazing - better than any Carvin I've ever heard. I think it's the combination of all that maple and the HB/piezo. All my others are either alder, mahogany or koa, so this is an entirely new sound for me, and I dig it.

Now, without further adieu...

There are more pics (including *large* ones on the Carvin Museum, right here. Come by and have a look!
  2. TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    And here's a closeup, showing how the new 5-piece Elite body is made...

3. not my cup of tea, but good to hear you're enjoying it.

when is carvin gonna get rid of that ugly a$$ 80's headstock?
  4. TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    I actually paid extra for that headstock! That particular headstock, from 90/91, has been gone for almost 15 years - last year, they began offering a reissue of it as an option. Since this bass was going to be so wild, I decided it needed an over the top headstock, as well. Mission accomplished, yes?

They also custom-made a 5-string V headstock for me last year, for my XB75:

But my favorite is actually the traditional 2X2. Simple & classy. It would've just looked weird on the Elite. Probably.
  5. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Glad you like it.

I've never really understood why anyone would want to take a beautiful piece of quilted maple and have it painted some color not found in nature, but that's just me.

The P series electronics are indeed pretty cool, aren't they? I have a BB75P fretless.
  6. Hey very very cool,glad your enjoying it.
  7. Headstock aside, that's the nicest looking carvin I've seen. Bet it sounds fantastic.
  8. different strokes for different folks :cool:.

it's your bass and you like it, thats enough for me! :bassist:

any chance of getting some sound clips?
  9. NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Love the Dragonburst finish. Love it.

Hate the headstock. Just looks weird there.

Plus, the more I look at Bunny's model (love the guy, by the way... awesome player!!!), the more it is starting to look like a fat woman's bottom. Hmm.

Maybe I should get a new 6 from them. With the finish you got. What's that... like an extra $1,000 for the Elite series?

I still have a Carvin 4 I bought in 1990, I believe..... with the Kahler Tremolo on it. Come to think of it... I may have the same headstock on it. I don't remember. It's been sitting in it's case for several years now.
  10. First off, let me say that while that bass isn't exactly my cup of tea, the quilt maple and the finish are gorgeous. That's really one of the finest maple quilts I've seen in a long time. Now, excuse what I'm about to do...
    This is a fairly common mistake that, in fact, makes no sense whatsoever. "Adieu" is French for "goodbye" or "farewell," taken from "a dieu," a phrase use to say "I commend you to God." The proper phrase to use would be "without further ado," as "ado" means "trouble, difficulty, work to do." Unless, of course, you really meant to say "without further goodbye."

Also, is that an alder body core between the quilted maple top and back (both of which look to be pretty thick!)?
  11. TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    You're absolutely correct. Hey, I'm a lover, not a speller. Something like that, anyway.

Ordinarily, the chewy center would be alder, or the default on an Elite, walnut. I, however, ordered maple. The whole thing is maple - body, quilts, and the neck is 5-piece, all maple. Weird, I know. It's not that I don't like the laminated maple/walnut or maple/koa, but I didn't think that dark wood would look good stained. But I wanted the stability of a 5-piece neck. So, there we are.

And I'm not sure it's *anyone's* cup of tea, except for me. Obviously, the sound and playability are what's key, and it's great in both of those aspects. However, I'm kinda extroverted (go figure!), so I like having stuff (basses, cars, girlfriends) that just scream "look at me!". Silly, I know - but hey, at least I'm honest.

Adieu! :D
  12. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I like the pointy headstock!

I like it better than Carvin's current Soundgeary Looking headstock.

I like the "V" headstock too!
  13. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    I had two Carvins a couple years back, if you ask real nice, they'll make your headstocks the "classic" style which is much better looking. I wish I could find a pic.....
  14. I thought that the body core looked a little different than alder! Neat idea for an all-maple bass. I don't think you see those often...maybe Spectors? I really think that quilt is beautiful, though. And that's one wild paint job. Looks great!
  15. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I like them both - could you show a full pix of your bass with the flying V headstock. I like the 80's headstock also - it reminds me of a sort of gibson explorer idea
  16. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Not a Carvin all...

But the finish is very cool. And if it does it for you, that's all that matters.

Congrats! :D
  17. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY've renewed my faith in Carvin!
  18. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Quite a looker dude!! ;)
  19. nice bass you have there...