Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my new Carvin!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Brown was here, and dropped off my new lefty Carvin LB75P! :hyper: She's a beaut! First off, replaced the stock strings with DR Fats. Truss rod adjustments followed. :meh: The action is low and the intonation is near perfect. I am really digging this bass. The Koa is light, but this baby has a ballsy fat sound. Still playing around w the tone, pup, and eq. The neck is fast, but one annoying thing is happening: The G string pops off the neck if I hit it w too much force. :eyebrow: 7 days to go the return deadline.

Check out the pics and let me know what you think.

2. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    more pics

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Best LOOKING carvin ive seen in a while. The G string thing happens on a lot of basses. Usually you get used to it and learn how to avoid it. See how it goes.

4. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Looks great. What kind of wood is it? I also love the finish.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    He said Koa, but what else is in it?

6. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The body is alder, with a 1/2 in matchbook flamed koa top w matching headstock. The neck is 5 piece koa. Ebony fretboard. The edges are blackburst. It has the P electronics setup. :cool:

7. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    looks pretty sweet. im not really fond of the paint/no paint on the neck. but all in all its pretty nice

8. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah, I wan wondering about that too. Is that normal for blackburst? :confused:

9. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yes.

Well, for Carvin's burst it is. I have a blueburst LB70 w/5 piece koa neck that was finished the same way. Not sure why they don't avoid the neck altogether, especially if it's a five piece. But considering it's the back of the guitar, I got over it pretty fast.....like the first time I played it.

10. From the amount of spraying I've done, I bet it's because they can't keep from getting some overspray on the neck and still complete the burst down into the cutout. If you mask it, you'll leave a glaring line. So, they took it and made a "feature" of it :) . Solved the problem and probably sped up the time in the paint booth as well.

And it is a fine combination of woods and colors!

11. I don't like it...

not because it's a Carvin.
    not because it's not a nice bass.

but rather because it is left handed and therefore could never be mine :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Therefore, I don't like it...

GREAT BASS...I hope it serves you well. Congrats!

12. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    I like it. most people wouldnt be so daring as to put paint over Koa. Kudos!

however, i must be the only person on earth who does not like their rounded body option.
    :bassist: