Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my new Cirrus 5!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Feb 2, 2002.

1. I traded my Cirrus 4 today for a 5er, yeah! Probably the last fretted bass I'll ever buy. They took my 4 plus $150, I think it's a pretty good deal.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sounds like a deal. Congrats

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

All right, Mark! What woods did you get?

How about that B string, huh? In the same class with the best I have ever heard.

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The B should be impressive. I too would like the run down on the woods.

5. Gosh, I didn't ask. Let's see, I traded in my 4 which was maple w/alder top, I think. This one's more red on the top, redwood? It's definitely a maple body, clear glossy laquered finish. Pao ferro fretboard. It's sounds almost identical to my 4, but maybe slighty beefier all around. Nice crisp highs.

The low B, yes the low B. Awesome. Very powerful, though mostly just felt. Today at church I did use the lower D and C a bit, but I don't want to get into the annoying habit of always playing down there.

Lovin' this bass.....

6. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Chances are it's a redwood... does it appear kinda quilted? BTW, the boder is alder on both the maple & redwood top Cirrus. The neck is a combination of maple & purpleheart.

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    and sent the choir director scurrying to the sound man wondering what went wrong. What happened was I was doubling what the keyboardist was playing. It was about to lift the building off the foundations. Judicial use of the B is wise, however, it makes playing up on the neck doable since the you can start your patterns on the E. You have a redwood it sounds like. I have a bubinga/walnut that in comparison is a little darker sounding. The B is also a great thumb rest.