Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my new ESSEX SJB-62TN today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, after hearing all of the talk about the essex basses, curiousty got the best of me, and I ordered the 62 jazz RI. First off let me say, after reading all of the exellent comments from everyone on here, my expectations were pretty high, even guys like nino brown, with every dream bass made talked about how great it is. My brother and I run a retail flooring store, and I had the bass shipped to the store, that way when it arrived, I knew there would be someone there to sign for it. My brother is a VERY accomplished guitarist, hands down one of the best in the area. When I told him I ordered a $129 jazz bass copy of the name essex, he gave me all kinds of grief, wondering why I would want something like that sing I have a stingray, and have a Spector NS-5CR on order. He was by far the biggest skeptic of anyone I told I ordered it. Well, I had to make a business trip across the state today. I was on the road when my cell phone rang, it was him telling me my essex was there, and he was totally flipping out "AMAZING, UNBELIEVABLE, SPECTACULAR" were some of the words he used to describe it. So here I am, speeding like a demon all day to make my way back to the shop. When I get there and set eyes on it, my jaw instantly hit the floor. I'm telling you guys, the pics on the website are in NO WAY even close to the true beauty! I got the black with the photo flame, and it is simply beautiful. The maple neck has an awesome yellowed vintage finish, with FLAMES all over the maple!!!!! Needs a slight intonaion adjustment, and it is good to go. Plays every bit as good as she looks, and sounds super yummy vintage jazz. The strings were pretty decent even, I read they switched over to D'addario...which is not my brand of choice personally, but they are pretty decent none the less. Neck joint is every bit as tight as my stingray 5. My only beef.....the nut looks like it should be on a $129 bass.......wait a minute, nevermind! My bro says he is going to buy either a jazz, or p bass for himself, and he's not even a bass player! He also called the drummer in his band raving about it, and he is going to buy one too.....not bad for my biggest skeptic. I played a new MIM Fender Jazz for an hour or so last night so it would be fresh in my mind for comparison, and the essex honestly blows it away in every respect. I couldn't be happier! Thanks to all the TBer's for the heads up, and a very special THANKS to Kurt for giving us such great instruments at an unbelievable price!!!!!!!!!

2. All right! Another Essex believer! Can you post a pic of the Flame? I have the SJB-62, but opted against the flame finish. But since I'm considering another Essex, and after reading this review, I'd like to see how nice that finish is.

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Sure, I'll try to remember my digicam tomorrow to take some pics. I left the essex at the office, as my essex and my czechtor both came today, and I felt I needed to get acquainted with her, since she is now my main bass. I'm already fiending to get my hands back on the jazz though, believe it or not! I just can't say enough good things about SX!

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    ANBassist,

Which website did you buy it from?

I may be willing to pass $129 worth of G.A.S.

I already have a Jazz, but I've been toying with buying a cheap P-bass and setting it up ala James Jamerson - high action and dead flatwounds!

Anybody know if the Essex pick up cavity will accomadate seymour duncan or other vintage Fender replacements?

5. gfab, the website is www.rondomusic.com

I'm pretty sure the Essex pickup cavities will accomodate after market pickups. I can't say for sure, though I've never tried.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It looks pretty good for the price, if what everyone has been saying about SXs is true.