Got my new fretless!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by szego, Apr 22, 2005.

1. szego

Jul 26, 2004
    WOOOO, Got my new fretless 4 string! Yayayaya, After a while of searching i found the one i like. The Dean Edge 4 String Fretless...[​IMG]
    It's so hott.. :cool: Anyway, I'm actually looking for some help, i'm kind of a newbie at the whole fretless game. I plan on using both my fretless and my fretted basses. I was thinking using the fretted more for hard rock, slap and pop stuff and things that are much more in-depth and fast, and the fretless for most soft rock, jazz, funk, disco...etc. For all i know I'm totally off base, I was also thinking about every line i play, playing it on both basses and just seeing which sounds better, but i have no clue, if somebody could guide me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Miscounted? That's a 5 :p But besides that, I love the look of it, how much was it? I'm looking for a fretless :\
  3. szego

Jul 26, 2004
    Well thats a picture of the 5 string version, couldn't find any solid pics of the 4 string but you get it, it was bout $400, the guy cut me a deal so i got that+a gig bag for it for 360+tax, not bad at all, from what i've played on it, just messing around and stuff, and my dad played it too, seems excellent
  4. If you want solid pictures of a 4-string, just do a search in this forum for "Dean Fretless". Sometime in late February I posted pictures of mine.

Having said that, it's no longer mine - There were a couple of small issues with mine (proving it was a demo model vice a new one) that caused me to return it. I should have another one in a week or two.

I'm not fond of the stock strings, and it needed a good truss rod/action adjustment. All things considered, though, it had a great tone palette and a very nice fingerboard.

About the fingerboard...I used regular applications of lemon oil to season it...really helped with the mwah and hardening of the board.

Take care,
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nice bass. Yep, you're pretty much on the right track, a fretless is much more useful in soft rock, jazz, funk, etc. while a fretted is usually better suited for slapping, popping and hard rock. But like I said, there are no boundaries, you can do anything with anything, it's just a matter of how you want it to fit ;)

Best advice I have for you, is to play the fretless with people. Slight error in your intonation is more obvious in a band situation than all by your lonesome.
  6. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Beauty of a bass
    How much it run you?
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    $60 more than yours ;)
  8. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.

Really nice looking bass there. I've heard great things about Dean fretlesses, they appear to be great value for the price.

Here's a tip - solo the bridge pickup and play fairly far back for a punchy middy jaco sound.

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The first pic looks especially sexy.
    Nice one!