Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my new (old) p-bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Jul 12, 2004.

1. I just picked up my mid-70s Fender p-bass. Ahh, I love this thing. It weighs a ton, but it just sounds amazing. I'll post pics as soon as I can borrow a digital camera.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Congrats! Yea, I own a '78 and it is a bit on the heavy side, but it balances and plays so nicely that the weight never bothers me. Enjoy your new (er, old) bass. You've picked up a great piece of history.

3. BCinU

BCinU

Jun 24, 2004
    Florida
    Congrats! I've got a 73 and a 75 Precisions, and love them both. Neither seems particularly heavy to me, by the way. Both weigh in at around 9 lbs.

String it up with flats and dial off the treble. Fat. :D

4. 70s Fenders are heavy, but they feel solid and sound great. Can't wait for pics!

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia

to be honest my beat up alder bodied P bass made in 1975 is a feather....

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's the ash bodies from the 70s which are the boat anchors (I know, I know, everyone has one that's super light...but I've never come across one).

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I have light weight 75 alder bodied fretless Precision.

Two weeks ago I borrowed a 74 ash bodied fretted Precision for a recording project. It was much heavier. Sounded beautiful.

8. Yeah, 70s ash bodied Fenders tend to be really heavy, but sweet as heck. Alder ones are probably still just as light as they were before. I think it's just that they changed their ash supplier and got a supply of heavy ash from some different place.

9. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Congrats on your mid 70's p-bass. I have an 11 pound boat anchor 78 p-bass that I will never give up because of the tone this thing pumps out.It made a 63 P-bass I used to own sound like a tone weenie in comparison I kid you not!Sounds like you got a great bass. :cool:

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    My '78 is 10.5 lbs. Got agree. It has the tone.