Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my new ROSCOE!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Willie Dizon, Jun 11, 2001.

1. It finally came in today.Let me tell you it was worth the wait.I was getting a little discouraged after a few false starts.but hey,just like expectant mothers,the baby will get there when it gets there.
    I will definitely post some pics of this beauty when I get the right camera ,etc..
    First things first,her name is Malena.She is a dark amber beauty.Four string ,quilted maple top,bartolini pups,a three band eq(I believe it is the 18 volt version,however I haven't popped open the battery compartment yet.),Brazillian rosewood fretboard,and quite possibly a Spanish Cedar body or a mahogany body.I'm not totally sure since I'm not an expert on wood and the stain/finish is throwing me off.Oh well,what a cruel life I lead.Ha ha!!
    The sound is incredible.I can dial up several sounds and they all sound great,this baby even has a great slap tone as well.
    Then there's the action-low as can be without fret buzz!!!The neck is satin finished,even feeling slightly raw.Luv it!!!
    I couldn't be happier!!! I know I've said many times over that I'm too chicken to venture into the 5-string range...well..when I do that it will be with a 3005,but that's another conquest that can wait.Thank You Keith Roscoe!!!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very cool, Willie!

Can't wait to see some pictures of Malena.

Enjoy that Roscoe!:)

3. Thanks embellisher!!! I know you have an eye/ear for fine instruments.someday I'd like to snag me a Zon too!!!

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Awesome, Willie!! I'm savin' my pennies for a Roscoe 5 or 6 ... Can't wait to see your pics!!

5. Post some sound clips if you can.

6. Thanks odd!!! I have played the 5's,6ers and 7 string Roscoes.The Fivers have an incredible low B string.I don't blame you for wanting to get one.I've just "finished" parcticing on my LG 3000 and man did I have a good time.This bass's tone is so versatile,it even made my Peavey Minx 1x10 sound great!!! I know I've said it before,but,the 6 and 7 stringers are just TOO big for my hands,other than that,they sound great too.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats, Willie. Sounds sweet;)

8. Alright,I'll polish up my ...ahem...playing and find some cool clips/riffs.Thanks for the suggestion/idea.

9. So ,uhm...Brad,when are going to stop "punishing " your bass???I must admit,she does have a nice backside...

10. Congrats, Willie!

Roscoe's are certainly sweet basses. Post some pic when you can... and like Brad, we want to see her back side, too!

:)

Jeff

11. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Welcome to Club Roscoe! My SKB 3005 feels like an extension of my body, and it and my LG 3005 are works of art. Now if I could only get my hands on a 6'er....

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Ouch

:)

13. Thanks Jeff,Malena isn't shy,she's the type to flaunt it.
    To Thumper:The next Roscoe I get will be a LG 30005 with a Roscoe Red finish/flamed maple top or a burled myrtle top/natural finish...someday..Hee hee hee...oh yeah
    The 6ers I've played were absolutely incredible,I just couldn't get my hands aroung them...doh

14. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Willie, thats my concern as well, my middle fretting finger is only 3.5". I'm really leaning more towards a fretless 5. I'd sell my LG 3005 to get one, but "she" says no. So, I'll bide my time and see if a deal I (or should I say "she") can't refuse comes along ;)

BTW, his burl maple tops are great too, I'll post a pic of my SKB as soon as I get one without my mug in it. When you get around to buying one, don't shy away from the Spanish cedar body, they sound great (very acoustical/woody) and are fairly light. My burl myrtle bodied LG sounds fantastic, but is about 1/2 or more lbs. heavier.

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool! I love my SKB 3007. Best bass I own and I gotta bunch. That low B is just awesome and the 18v Bart just rules! Congrats.

[​IMG]

16. Burl myrtle is just totally gorgeous.Alpha had a burl myrtle 30005.It was sold right away.I do love that Spanish cedar.

Boogiebass:Kudos to your 7...along comes comes the ghost of J T

17. Thumper, one question from a prospective Roscoe owner:

In your opinion, which balances better--the SKB or the LG body style? I have had problems with my wrists and the huge Roscoe neck looks like it might be too heavy for the small LG body...

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    My LG-3005 balanced fine.

19. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Brad is right, no problems with either regarding balance. I think the only reason I prefer playing my SKB is the 4/100s narrower neck (not much I know) and it's lower gain (I'm guessing here, it is 9v. the LG is 18v) is more effects friendly (Fulltone Bassdrive II), coupled with slightly lighter weight. They are both the most beautiful basses I have ever seen, bar none.

a9, I'm not sure why you think they have a huge neck, IMHO their sleek, playable necks are one of their strengths, the only other 5er neck I've played that is comparable is a Lakland (I have to admit though, the Reverend neck felt pretty d**n nice). Bear in mind, that for the most part, each Roscoe is different, but overall, everyone I have played (about 9) had an extremely playable fast neck.

20. Hmm. Shows what I get for believing Bass Player. Their '97 review where they trashed the construction but jizzed themselves over the tone said that the neck was chunky like a Precision, and that was only the "medium" profile. Things have probably changed since then, though.