Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my new Salas 5 string!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, May 1, 2001.

1. Just got a new Salas bass yesterday. It's the Salas Custom Canarywood 5 that's been advertised on bassalone.com for months.

WHAT A DEAL! The bass is super-pretty, lighter than my 4-string Fender Jazz, balanced, and amazingly easy to play.

Things you can't tell from reading about it (or seeing the pic) at Bassalone.com:

The top is spalted in a cool way.

The flame maple stringers have a neat-o 3-d effect.

AND THE BEST PART: The preamp and pickups are actually Seymour Duncans, even though the bassalone ad says they're Gotohs!!!

The bass was initially humming a lot, so I opened up the cavity to check the shielding (which is excellent: thick copper foil everywhere). It turned out that there are two adjustable trimpots in there, one of which is a treble level -- which was cranked. Hence the buzz. Anyway, the preamp circuit board was stamped "Seymour Duncan." So I called Seymour Duncan, and asked what the deal was. Turns out, Seymour Duncan makes pickups and preamps for Gotoh, which Gotoh then sells as their own! So the preamp is essentially a Duncan STC-3A, but with no slap contour pull-pot.

This bass is a big score. I recommend Salas, and bassalone.com, highly.

2. Here's the set of pics from bassalone.com:

3. Oops! I only attached a pic of the back of the bass. Here's the attachment for the front:

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, awwright, Jordan!!! You got it. So that's where Gotohs come from. What a confusing mess this brand name world is. :rolleyes:

Does it sound as good as it looks? How's the B?

5. What does the Salas sound like? Well, first of all, it's very "spitty" -- maybe because of the 18 volt electronics, the dynamic range is amazing, so you can get that extreme Jaco staccato & growl. But when you back off, the notes get very rounded and smooth. I've never owned another active bass that could get that passive-style attack when pushed hard (usually they seem to reach a compression point if you dig in too much, IME). So this is a cool "first" for me.

I AB'ed the Salas with a Smith that's tagged at $3100 used at Guitar Villa, and the Salas has much, much more high end and attack, while the Smith is smoother and rounder. However, even there, with all the pickup switching & EQ onboard the Salas, you can get a fairly round tone if you want it.

Generally, this is a fairly midrange-y, dynamic instrument. The "B" string is good, especially when the bridge pu is selected in humbucker mode. If the neck pu is soloed, it can be a bit hard to hear pitch definition on the B's lowest 3 frets, but that cleans up 100% when you're going with the bridge pu.

I'm a happy, happy boy.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    She's a beauty. Congrats! Does she put out?

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    WOOOHOO NEW SALAS OWNER!! :D!!!!!

*DM IS HAPPY!* :D