Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got My New Spector!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by *ToNeS*, May 27, 2001.

1. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    woooooooo man, i picked up a Spector Ns2000/4 at a sale on saturday for $1129 (australian) ... and it rocks, man - this thing purrs like an irritated jaguar :) i'm stoked as, but i've got a few questions about it - i get a kind of "clicky" sound going when playing the E and A, is this caused by low action or is this like, part of the Spector "sound" ? secondly, are the EMG pick-ups on it active or passive ? someone said that it might have passive pick-ups and an active pre-amp, but i've never fully understood what a pre-amp is. i don't even think my old Squier Affinity had one.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Cograts on a great purchace. You might just need a set-up on the bass. It might need a neck adjustment &/or string height adjustment.

Like Rippin' Robin said, it has passiveEMG-HZ passive humbuckers w/an active EMG BTS pre amp. Since you are new to an active bass, be sure NOT to leave the cable plugged into the bass ot you will drain your battery.

Nino

3. Congrats!
    It's OK to leave your bass plugged in if you are not playing it for a few minutes here and there. Just don't leave it plugged in for hours at a time when you're not playing or it will drain the battery unneedlessly. I would recommend a lithium 9 volt battery if you can find them (some music stores carry them) because they will last much longer than other type 9 volts.
    Happy jamming!

4. So what are you still doing here? Go play man!!!!

Anyway,have loads of fun with your new 'baby'!!

5. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    aw man, you said it .. i needa play more than prattling on here, huh ? hehe one question (well, sorta my 3rd one) Nino, how would i get a neck adjustment on it ? it's a thru-neck, man !

6. The truss rods located within the neck has to be adjusted for tension or relief. Don't attempt this yourself because if you snap a truss rod you'll have a world of trouble. Take your bass to an experienced guitar repair man. Adjusting the truss rods is part of a bassic set up. While at it, you can request to have the string height raised or lowered. Be sure to buy new strings as well, the repair man has to take off the old strings to preform his duties anyways so you may as well have him put new, fresh strings on.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Congratulations, cool catch. What color did you get?

8. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    out of a choice between this vibrant red colour that looked as if it was "dripping" off the bass, a startlingly bright orange that almost blinded our drum tech, and plain ol' midnight black, i opted for the no-nonsense 3rd choice :) here's a piccie ...

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    You will be happy with this bass. Very sexy look and sound. Be careful when removing the cover for the hollow-out when changing batteries. I stripped the screw and the anchor came out of the body on my old one.

10. Spectors are awesome!

I was going to buy the exact same bass when I was in Sydney, but I decided to get my Ibanez instead. Actually I was going to get the blue or orange one. Prolly the orange one.

Did you get it from Sydney? The only place I ever found that had them was called...um... Venue Music? I think it was that one. I can't remember. I went to nearly every music store in Sydney in one day trying to find Spectors. The LAST one I went to had about 7 of them...and I didn't even buy one! oh well. But hey, congrats on the purchase!! They are sweet basses.

11. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i got mine in Melbourne, at this store called "Guitar Centre". the bloody salesmen took me for some ignorant young Flea-wannabe however, and tried to fool me by saying, "hey, we have this same bass in a *quilted* black finish - but it costs a little more". i thought, hey, what the hell, and expressed my interest. so he takes me and our band's drum tech (he was helping me out with the purchase) out the back and takes a box off a top shelf. he takes the lid off being careful only to expose the quilted black body ... he shows it off saying how it looks so much better and how it only costs a hundred or so more ... i shoved his hand out of the way to be confronted by the comparatively less expensive bolt-on equivalent. the guy was thinking i wouldn't notice the difference and walk away with a cheaper bass i paid twice as much for !!!!
    are there *any* honest salesmen out there ? man ..

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That was just wrong!!!! I would of walked out of the store. :mad: I would of punched him righr in the face. IMO this guy is trying to steal from me!!!!!! :mad:

13. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    oh man, i would have decked him right there, but he covered himself really well. as soon as i pointed out it was the cheaper bolt-on model, he looked really startled and babbled something about not knowing and apologized. if i'd taken him out after that it woulda looked really bad :oops:
    and i wouldn't be sitting here with me new baby, whom i have christened "Peggy" :D