Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my new Tech 21 Sansamp RBI WOW!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff O'Connor, May 11, 2005.

1. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Stratford, CT
    Holy Moly, :hyper: I picked up my new baby yesterday. Paid 257.50 w/ tax. Good price? Got to play it straight into the PA area at Guiatr Center!! HA! Bass was rockin the place!! Other employees were coming in to see what was sounding so good! Now I seek a worthy power amp... Help a brotha out! I'll soon be picking up a Avatar 2x12, 1000 watts. Suggestions? :help:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    QSC or Crown. Both are good stuff. If you are into spending more, Stewart audio is also good if you are into spending that kind of money.

3. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nice pre. I'd suggest a QSC RMX series if you don't mind the weight (cheap, reliable, powerful) and the QSC PLX series if you want to spend a little more and go lightweight.

Stewarts are also nice, but a bit pricier.

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    You think it sounds good now, just wait until you get the blue light installed.

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
  7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    The RBI is awesome. I run one as part of my rack-it's a bit brighter than the RPM-but they compliment each other nicely. Power amp? I'm running a Carvin DCM2000 bridged into it for head room [bridged @ 4 ohms is 2k watts], or i'll run it in stereo with the B212 getting 750 watts. The catch w/the DCM2k for me is-it weighs 40 pounds in a 3 rack space unit-it's heavy, however, for what i'm doing now [read as-never a long walk, and i can drive my huge car], it works well-for college....it's staying if i'm lucky-in the dorm, if not, here in Lafayette. That's all

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Check out Crown and Crest too.

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I second the point about the Carvin DCM series: you can get a heckuva lot of power at your fingertips - for the same price as a Crown or QSC with half the power. And they have a reputation for great sound & nice features too. Worth considering...

MM

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd say that Carvin is a bit overrated in watts, as other companies make power amps just as loud for the same cost. However, this does not mean Carvin is not a good choice, but the others are just as good. I'd say the Carvin is about equal in weight/sound/price to the heavier QSCs.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I run my RBI through a Stewart World 2.1. The Stew is loud and clean and light... my ears and back are happy!

12. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Congratz!

Go creeeeeeeest...

13. I've been using a Carvin DCM1500 for years, and have never had a problem with reliability or headroom. My setup sounds great!!!

The amp is very heavy though; I believe they have reduced the size in the newer DCM 1500s.

14. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    ...and the crowd chants "Crest, Crest, Crest!"

15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had a Carvin DCM2000 for my bass rig for awhile, its a fine amp but its just too darned heavy compared to everything else out there on the market.

Go light, you won't regret it and you'll save more money in the long run as you won't have to continually think about upgrading.

16. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I have the same pre-amp (RBI) and same cab (B212 8ohm) as you. I added the B210 pro cab also.

My poweramp is a QSC RMX1450. Just fantastic, the B212 alone bridged through the RMX1450 rates 900W and is more than suitable for anything that I'm doing or likely to do.

I've gigged the whole stack (with the B210P for total rating of 1400W) and talk about headroom to spare! Amazing. I run the 50hz filter (instead of the 30hz) on the poweramp and it is just a monster of a rig with great tone (thanks to the RBI).

The only issue is that with the RMX1450 in my rack case, the thing is more than a little heavy!