Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my new-to-me Modulus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, May 1, 2003.

1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Arrived yesterday (of course) while I'm at work and going to band practice without going home first. So it got a perfunctory checkout through the Zoom as a headphone amp late at night.

This is why I thought I wanted a composite neck. Even up-and-down and across the strings. No spots to work around. Comfortable, thin and slick enough for my taste.

It came with old flats on it. Very sweet up high but a little tame down low. I've got a set of TI Powerbass strings that may have to go on there to get some growl going.

Overall I'm going to have to adjust to the much lower output (when compared to my G&L). I couldn't get enough volume out of the BFX/headphone combo to really check it out. I also had to crank the lows on the pre to make it sound "good" to me. It will be interesting to get it hooked into the PA and my real amp and see how it sounds to me there. I need to get a new battery in it as well - the seller hasn't used it for a couple of years (he said) so it may be a bit old. Gotta break out the meter and the battery test cable (built from the BP article) and see where it's at.

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sweet, dude! Congrats.

3. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    that's hot.
    i'd love to check that out.

4. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Thanks guys!

On the back it looks like there's some red/pink in the finish (the blue-over-red Modulus does?) but it doesn't really show/look like that on the front.

I put the TI Powerbass on it and a new battery in it (the old one was pretty weak by the "tongue test"). And WOW -- so much for a lack of lows. I was cutting lows to keep things balanced. And the growl/piano tone is in there with rounds. Verrry verrry nice! I raised the pickups a bit too for more output but I may drop them back down as they were getting in my way a little bit.

It had a Bart NTBT preamp in it - a bonus because I thought it was passive when I made the deal (not thinking about what 4 knobs would be doing on a passive jazz bass).

The neck seems a little wider than my G&L #6 which will take a little adjustment, but all in all I'm thinking "keeper" (but I usually do a day or two into ownership anyway). I just need to make sure I've got everything turned up enough to be able to use the various pickup blends.