Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my new Warwick Thumb Neck Thru....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hey guys,
    My Warwick just came yesterday. The first thing I did was check for damage, neck warpage etc. etc. Everything was in excellent condition. The action was already set low like I prefer, so I plugged it in to play. What a nice growl... Only problem is is that my amp distorts a little bit. I think the thumb pre-amp is a little strong. I'll have to fiddle around with the settings.

After playing it for a while, I waxed it down, because I'm no sure when the last time this was done.

I gotta tell you, this is the first bass that feels like an extension of myself. And I've liked a lot of my basses. Something about this one though. I just want to take it everywhere.

2. Congrats man!
    I love warwicks...........Well, the good ones like yours :D

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Congrats, pics?

4. Is this the bass you sold ur FNA 2004 LTD for?

5. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Used to have a thumb, most unique sounding bass I have ever owned.

6. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Yes. And I am glad I did. Although the 2004 LTD was the best I had seen of that series, the Thumb is WAAAY better.

I will try to post pics when I get a camera. ;)

7. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    The bass does't exist if you don't post pics.

8. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    After reading this type of post (almost verbatim) for the ump-teenth time, I'm begginging to think it might not be a bad idea to start a "Let's Buy A Digital Camera" thread. Same concept as the "Let's Buy a Wish", only the object being passed around is a digital camera. You pitch in 5 bucks, you get it for a couple days, take pictures of your beauties and post them here so that we might finally have an end to the doubting of the existence of basses.

Oh yeah, ummm, sorry for hacking your thread, and, ummm, sounds like a nice bass! Warwicks are indeed the shiz.

9. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I'll post pics as soon as possible. I know it's an unwritten policy. I'm just happy about it is all.

10. Congrats, glad to see the thumb fits you better!

If only we had this discussion 4 months ago, I sold my Thumb for the LTD and feel the LTD as an extension of mybody..... oh well.

11. :) Great to hear, enjoy!

12. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    The LTD is truly an awesome bass with a lot of tones. Honestly, I wish I could have kept it. I just love the sound of my Fender American passive too much to let that go. I need a couple very different basses with different tones.

Thank you. I have already played it for about 5 hours total since yesterday. I just love the playability and contour of the bass.

13. Glad to hear you found YOUR bass man!

14. Ahh.. Just wait until you're playing it with a band, and you're in the middle of the song, really digging in, realizing that even though you're playing with several other loud instruments, you can hear yourself clear as day, and you can 'feel' the notes come off your fingers just like when you're playing by yourself. Yet, your sound is situated smoothly in the mix and isn't anywhere close to overpowering anybody else. Great feeling!

15. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Yeah, nowhere to hide with them Warwicks :D . Enjoy it and play well

16. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Just a side note, in all my experimentation with strings and the Warwick thumb, I found that Rotosound SS strings make that bass growl like no other. I have not found any other use for Rotos except for the Warwick. Try them out someday, your bass will come alive.

17. RE:PEAT

RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Congrats Knavery on such a nice bass. I don't recall from your earlier posts but what made you choose the NT over the BO? A Thumb 4 might very well be my next bass, sorting out the differences. :confused:

18. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    There is definetly alot to consider when purchasing one of these basses. I loved the tone of mine, but the extreme neck dive of the bass eventually led to pain in my wrists that I could net get rid of. Some people don't have this problem, it just didn't fit my body type. The playing area where the pick ups are was very small for my hands and took quite a while to get used to. Someday I would like to own a bass that captures the tone of the Warwick Thumb.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I prefer the BO over the NT. The BO has a punchier tone which i find better for my style of slapping. The NT has more sustain and a completely different feel overall.

20. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Cool. I'll give them a try. Strings is one thing I'm not very knowledgeable with. I've always just bought DRs and that's been that. There are people in here with vast knowledge about strings. I'm not one of them. :smug:

Honestly, although I do a lot of slap and pop, I wanted a bass with a lot of sustain. I ring out a lot of notes, and thought it'd be nice with the NT. Oh, and I've never owned a NT. That's another reason. I don't regret it. Hell, I might even pick up a BO at one point. :)