Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my new Warwick yesterday!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alexvs, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Alexvs

Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    I am a happy man! I recevied my brand new Warwick FNA Jazzman 4 yesterday! I have never been happier!
    I love the sound, and the neck is absolutely perfect for me. It hasn't got any finish, so both the sound and SMELL of wood fills my room!

And a question to all you Warwickans out there: Should I wax the bass now? Right after I got it, or should I wait a week or so? And should I wax both the top (Maple) and the bottom (Ash) or just the top?

I can't be here no longer, I must play on my bass!! =)

2. Very nice choice. I'm glad you're happy with it man. Hey, how about getting some pics and maybe even a soundclip of it for us! That would be awesome! :D

3. picked up a thumb bolt on about 6 months ago and i love it. i played the bass you just picked up and it was very very nice, just a little out of what i was looking for at the time. congrads! :)

4. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Wax that ax! I don't really know if you should...just wanted to say that :) congrats on the new bass!

5. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    Grats! Sounds great, though I haven't heard it :)
    And wax it! A shining bass, that reflects the light is cool.

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Congrats on the bass.. i really want a Warwick but i HATE the neck ;( too bulky.. ick but i love the warwick sound!!! hope you like your bass!:D Take some pics!

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'd hold off for a little while on the wax. Although I think the maple responds a lot better to wax than bubinga does, when I waxed my Corvette (bubinga) the first time I kinda freaked out. It wound up getting this really uneven kind of shine that some other TBers here complained about also. Some woods react strangely to the wax. I had a streamer (flamed maple) for a little while though and the wax was fine on it.

There's somthing about that woody feel and smell that changes once you put the first coat of wax on. I'd wait a coupla weeks.

Last note - I had to return my original Warwick cuz the wood cracked on the body. I think it was too dry where I was keeping it, and I didn't wax it for a while. Supposedly you really do need to feed the wood - or not stick it in an insanely dry room.

Oh yeah - congratulations. Have fun!

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    mmm...warwick smell....

smelling that wax has the same effect on my body as when a really good smelling girl walks by.

unfortunately...gigging so often made her smell more like smoke than anything. :(

jason

9. Congrats!!!! :D

Warwicks are awesome looking and sounding!Too bad I can`t deal with the baseball bat neck! ;)

You got to kill two birds with one stone,my freind!A beatuiful bass AND a beautiful piece of living room decor.:D

10. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    congrats on the new bass!

enjoy it and wax with caution, mine has a bit of an uneven satin finish on it now that it's been waxed for a few months since I got it.
    prolly my fault.

11. hammong

hammong

Apr 11, 2001
    Sparks, Maryland
    I'm pretty darned happy with my bass too. I started with a cheap 4-string Ibanez a month or two ago, and decided I wanted the low-B string rather than drop-tuning my 4-stringer. I ended up settling on a Thumb Bolt-On 5-string with the ovangkol body and ovankol/wenge neck in natural oil finish.

Woo hoo! Picked it up today, and love it already. I waxed it right away - the wax smells pretty good too, kinda citrus-like.

What about that baseball bat neck? Granted, I'm stepping up from an Soundgear GSR 200 - I don't find the neck to be too thick. EVERYTHING is thick compared to the Ibanez RG 570 6-string I traded in on this baby. *grin*

Greg

12. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Wahey, someone else with the 5-string BO thumb. damn good it is too.

A lot of people (myself included ) find that waxing once a month is usually sufficient, even tho Warwick recommend every fortnight. Tho I suppose this does depend on where the bass is kept, humidity etc, but I do live on England (not exactly drying out from heat over here).

The one to watch is the fingerboard oil. This can be overdone. You know when it's been over done, when it won't dry out for days. A little goes a long way. I find I can do the whole board with just a couple tiny splashes (y'know, turn the bottle upsidedown on the cloth).

13. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I was trying out a Thumb Bolt-on yesterday. Nice sound, look, smell (I guess). I liked the neck personnaly but the darned thing kept taking a nose-dive on me. A good bass for playing seated - or strapping up by your adam's apple.