Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Nordstrand....I'm stunned....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Feb 1, 2004.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Last night at 11:00 pm, Carey Nordstrand gave birth to yet another astounding bass. It weighed in at 8lbs, 4 oz. Both Baby and Papa are doing fine! :D
    I've owned 3 Nordstrands in the past...all of them superior instruments...in fact, the best I'd played to date. BUT......my new SC4 has left me breathless, speechless (almost ;) )...just knocked for a loop. This one has the ju-ju!
    It has an alder core, a beautiful birdseye back, a shockingly flamed koa top, birdseye board, gloss on the body and headstock with satin on the neck and board, THG knobs, gold hardware, Fat Stack pickups, and a Smith 3 band preamp. The moment we plugged it in last night, we BOTH were like..."Uhhhh..."! Just special. Even Carey was freaked out! He's the LAST guy to toot his own horn about his work, but he was obviously taken aback with the way this one turned out. The string response, turbo quick. The tone? Fuggettaboutit! Fat, fat, FAT juicy tone! The detail work, truly perfect...a museum piece. We pulled the front pickup back like Tom Kennedy's Fodera. A very smart idea on Tom's part. It really makes a huge difference with the blend set in the middle.
    I'm normally a back-pickup guy...after playing this bass in a Praise Band setting today in a huge hall, system and preamp set flat, blend in the middle.....I couldn't wipe the smile from my face the whole time!! Even the gui***ist, who is a bit of a tone purist, was incredulous at how it sounded in the mix. I know that I'll get chided for this, but I know that my search is finally over. I can find nothing about this bass that I would change. This is the first time that I haven't thought, "Boy, I wish this bass could do THIS", etc. Super flexible, but it really doesn't seem to need to be. What it does at the flat setting is unreal...the voice of God. No BS.
    Carey builds (IMO) some of the best stuff out there, but this particular bass is SPECTACULAR...something truly special. I have never been this moved. Ever.
    I welcome any of the TBer's here in So. Cal. to come to my house, we'll have lunch, drink some java, and just hang out and play. Just let me know, and the hang shall commence!
    Boogiebass, Jared, Adrian, etc....you guys out there? Let's do a Talkbass hang...bring your basses, and when we're done, we can go wine tasting! (We're 7 minutes from the Temecula wineries!)
    Carey, THANK YOU for caring as much as you do about what you do. It has come to fruition in this new instrument. Love ya, man!
    Pics coming by the weekend, and after I learn to send smoke signals, perhaps even a sound clip ot two!
    I think I need to change my underwear... :hyper: :hyper: :help:

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I wouldn't mind checking it out sometime but I am quite busy, generally speaking...maybe soon in the future. :)

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Congratulations............

you know the rules: PICS!!!!!!! :p

4. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I read somewhere that the Ken Smith pre was KILLER in a
    Nordstrand. Maybe other luthiers will give them a try. Get those pics posted. :bassist:

5. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow, antoher great job by Carey..Congrat Matt! Great job there with the pups and Smith pre combo. I really in love with Tom Kennedy's sound from his bass. Just heard him recently with the Wackl band at Yoshi. Need to check into that combo with Carey ;)

6. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

I'm in Santa Barbara, I'd love to do a TB Hang. Let me knnow!
    PEACE!!!!!, Johno!

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    blah blah blah blah blah.... PICS!

Peace
    Nick

8. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Pics will go up by Fri pm....
    I know that was a long post, and pics are great for those that haven't seen it, but the tone is even more stunning than the looks...really! :bassist:

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Im good for another trip soon! actually, as i write this, i was supposed to be on the road to Ken Lawrence's, but it got a little overwhelming and i decided to cancel. I have a couple of things for Carey to look at , so I see a trip soon. Congrats on the new bass!- Adrian

10. As with everyone else, I just wanted to extend (Pics??!) my warmest congratulations (sound clips??!!) on the fine construction and purchase (Pics??!) of your exquisite instrument - and I know that, true to his character (sound clips??!!)and reputation, Carey will continue (Pics??!) to produce some truly fine instruments (sound clips??!!)for the bass community.

Who am I kidding? :spit: :spit: :spit:

I WANT ONE!!!! :bawl:

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    looks like I am taking the Nordstrand plunge as well...

12. Well, it's about time, Adrian! Where have you been, man?? You haven't had a Nordstrand to stare at on your site in weeks!! Maybe months!!

;)

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    that jive sucka Carey ain''t makin' 'em fast enough!!!-
    actually, John, the ebony topped one was one that sold thru Access Bass , it just never made it here!!!
    my friend Bill Norman, a fine bassist from So Fla, ordered it and would even let me see it!
    People are buying these before they arrive.. i better go help Carey.
    I ordered one for me and there's another order pending, so plenty to keep him busy with all the other dealer orders, etc... mine will have a top that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think I just soiled my drawers...

15. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i'm sorry, but Fodera ain't got nuttin' on Carey!!

(shoulda sold him my KOA!)

DAMN!

:p

f

16. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Until we get some more pics of this bass here's a prebuild shot of the koa top...

17. The fretboard looks as good as the body! :eek:

18. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    yikes, now THAT'S curly!

f

19. Faceley

Faceley

Dec 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    Is it ok to cry because i can't afford one of these beautiful Basses... :bawl: :crying: :bawl:

20. You are so right!

I DID sell my Koa (Fodera) after receiving my Nordie. I used to gas over Foderas. No more.

Jeff