Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my piezo Sterling!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave S..., Apr 25, 2001.

1. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    Just got a Sterling with the peizo bridge option! Haven't got to spend a whole lot of time with it yet, but first impressions are:

1.) VERY playable...It certainly invites faster playing-just too tempting to sit still for long on it. The finish on the back of the neck is the primary culprit...

The pitch (angle) of the neck/body joint also makes playing in the first few positions very comfy.

2.) Magnetic pickup's versatility of tone depends greatly on the amp. The series/coil-tap/parallel switch has a more pronounced effect through some rigs (my Trace...) verusus others (straight into my digital recorder)

3.) Piezo (recording...) adds nice low-end resonance, plus the click in the high-end. Kinda' gives a very "live-through-the house PA" rumble and tone quality.

When played through an amp, it mostly adds clarity in the extreme high end (big shock, huh?)

Doesn't add nearly as much clatter and racket from string attack as I thought it would...cool

More later, after I can get some more quality time with it! First gig with it is the 18th of May

Best Wishes

2. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

although i prefer a stingray, i got the piezo option as well. it rocks.(im assuming it's fretless, right?)

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Congrats, Dave....I have a piezo Stingray fretless, and it is my number one player. The piezo/pau ferro combination gives me the tone I want. Keep us posted.
    Doc

4. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    Actually, it's a fretted version with a Maple board... I've got a couple of USA Hamers with Rosewood (one with a 2-TEK...) and wanted a maple board instrument!

I played some double bass in college, and my 'secret weapon' for fretless is an ancient EB-3 that someone pulled the frets out of! With the neck pickup on and the varitone switch set to the neck-most position, it's not a bad double bass emulation...

Oaky, so it's actually all that I've got! :)

I just spent a few more hours with the Sterling, and I'll have to retract my earlier point #2) The switch DOES offer a noticeable difference through most ANY rig, when used with magnetics alone--it's slightly harder to tell the difference in switch position when the piezo is blended in.

I don't know what I was thinking when I first posted that...I guess I felt I had to find SOME flaw with it! (LOL!) I'm really quite pleased with this instrument, it's a great complement to the Hamers.

I'm REALLY looking forward to putting some miles on this one!

The Stingray is a great bass...I decided to shave off the extra 1/2 pound, and go with a tad more access to the upper frets with the Sterling!

For me personally, I liked the way the Stingray kept me 'honest' with my playing...since it was just a bit bigger bodied, I was a little less comfortable with it (and had to choose my notes a bit more carefully!) It DOES have just a bit more 'meat' to the tone, but the Sterling has enough of that personality for me!

The thought of Fretless and Pau Ferro would quickly get me evicted from the house and out on the porch...my wife has been very accomadating, and I shouldn't push it I guess!

Best Wishes