Got my postcard from Carvin!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Domino, Dec 21, 2000.

1. Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    february 6 is the magical date
    of which I can not wait
    to receive my blueburst Carvin bass
    and jam out until my fingers break

That's why our lead singer writes the lyrics in my band. LOL
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Domino - Which model did you order? I just took delivery two days ago on an LB75 with quilted top, tire skirts, gold hardware, jacuzzi jets, block inlays, 5-piece neck-through-body, double cheese...almost the whole show. Maybe my experience will be useful to you, plus some things they don't tell you beforehand in any of their literature;

- The bass (and amp) I ordered arrived one week BEFORE the date the postcard said the instrument would be completed, and 10-14 days before the time period they said, in reply to an e-mail I sent to them, I could reasonably expect the truck to pull up in front of my house. So, assuming Feb. 6 is your completion date, you might want to stay in close contact with Carvin at least a week or more before that date so it isn't setting somewhere in a truck waiting for you. I saw another TalkBass post where the person said he received his Carvin a week before he expected.

- The bass does not get fat, warm and round. I'm hoping this is due to the preset J-pickup height and the tapered factory roundwound strings it came strung with. Whichever brand they are, I don't like them. (Carvin doesn't make strings to my knowledge; merely their name on the string packages). It gets all the percussive/trebly/cutting tones anyone could want. Without a doubt, it can be set up to be a rock n' roll animal but I want something versatile enough for jazz, too.

- The neck has too much forward bow, (action is too high), for me, as shipped. However, that can be corrected. The little adjustment tool and the instructions they include are great!

- They state that "Each Carvin bass is set for best possible playing action for the average bassist." Well, I guess I'm not average. To me, "average" means nobody hates how the action is set, but nobody prefers it either. This morning I used a .050 allen wrench, (not included), on the saddles to get it closer to where I like it. You might want to make sure you have one before your bass arrives as well as a feeler gauge set.

- The control illustration omits the pickup toggle switch nor is it mentioned in the text. The Carvin bass tech told me this morning that the switch cannot affect your sound unless you engage the active electronics and turn the pan pot to the bridge position.

- Finally, as Bass Player Magazine has mentioned, "I don't know how they do it for the price."

YOU GO GIRL!!!
  3. I hope you like yours as much as I do mine. Mine got to me a week early as well, and was set up just fine. I do agree that the strings that came on it were AWFUL. I would absolutely recommend having a new set of whatever your favorite strings are on hand, you will want to put those on I'm sure. But overall, the bass was certainly worth the wait. Enjoy.
  4. Kaotic

Jan 4, 2001
    Mine is supposed to get here February 2nd!!! I can't wait either. Be sure to post your reaction to it. I'll let you know when I get mine.
  5. Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    Here's my order:

x LB70 - LB70: 4-string bass 659.00
    x HC17 - Guitar Case 45.00
    x HS - Hipshot Detuner 30.00
    x SL - Dunlop Straploks 5.00
    x BC - black hardware 10.00
    x HB2 - Bass Humbucker 20.00
    x TN - tung oil neck 30.00
    x TL - instrument color BLUEBURST 20.00
    x RB - Rounded Body 20.00
    x PH - matching headstock 15.00

I can't wait.
  6. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I received my LB75W one week early -- the Friday before Xmas. This bass is a 5-string with gold hardware, Claro walnut top (highly figured), abalone inlays, 5-piece walnut and maple thru-neck, a humbucker and coil-splitter switch, and the Bunny Brunel neck (tapered on the treble side and 1/4" wider at the 24th neck), Dunlop straplocks and, of course, my personal nameplate on the head. For what it's worth, this bass is drop-dead gorgeous. A real head-turner.

I couldn't be happier. Everyone who has seen and played it asks the same question, "How do they do it for the price?"

The bass has so many tonal capabilities that I'm still learning. I've found some real dog tones and some blow-me-off-my-chair sounds. It's an amazing instrument.

When mine arrived it was frozen! The temp here had been around 5 degrees for days...and the UPS trucks aren't heated! I let it sit for day before trying to set it up to my liking. I put a tad more relief in the neck and lowered the strings. Within a week I replaced the Carvin tapered strings with GSH Bass boomers. Big difference. The B string action is low, it's tight and doesn't buzz. I can get P-style sounds, J-style growl and everything in between. The neck plays like a dream -- it's fast (real ebony). The finish is literally perfect. My only complaints so far are 1) This axe is heavy, and 2) I'm not sure the 1/4" wider neck at the 24th fret was a good idea for me. This makes slapping and poppin' easier, but I need to get used to the increased string spacing.

Carvin uses Gotoh tuners (I think). They're 20:1 ratio and make fine-tuning a breeze. Spacing of the tuners is great. Another thing to get used to is the huge variation in sound you can get by moving your right hand (for righties) closer to the bridge or neck.

The Hipshot bridge is, well, a Hipshot. It adjusts wonderfully. The active electronics really work well giving you a wide range of tones right from the guitar (treble, bass, and midrange). It also has a pan control to switch from the bridge humbucker to the neck J-pup, or any blend in-between. The coil-splitter allows you to play the bridge humbucker as a single-coil. Pull up on the volume control and you're in passive mode (if the battery dies mid-set, it doesn't put you out of business). Battery replacement is via a little trap door on the back (no screws to remove). Battery is said to last 1 year playing 20 hours per week. We'll see.

When I compare this bass to a new MIA Fender, I'm shocked. The Carvin's fit-and-finish is so much better. It's right up there with the hand-made designer labels. And it out growls my J-bass using the Carvin bridge humbucker! Weird.

For a little over $1100, this thing is amazing. I'm completely pleased. Is it for eveyone? Of course not. But I would urge anyone interested in Carvin to check 'em out. Lotsa boom for the buck.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Hope it arrives perfectly set up for you. Get those callouses good and hard.
  8. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Must be heavy.. :eek: :D
  9. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    It's heavy, but it's not neck-heavy.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow! It has 24 necks? :eek:;)

I agree with membranophone - it must be heavy!!!

11. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Yes, my Carvin has 24 necks. It's the latest deal. What a tone monster!

Geez. I can't believe I missed that. You got me.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's all good! Just couldn't resist.:p

13. DeepPunch

Jul 7, 2000
    I got my BB75 4 months ago, and am still very much in love with it. I have had all kinds of comments on the good ("woody") sound. It is a beautiful instrument- walnut sides with 5 piece maple/walnut neck, gold hdwr, & HB2 bridge pickup.

I'm on my 3rd set of strings (including the ones that came on it). To be honest they all sounded good; each set in its own way.

I sprang for the 2 day delivery. I didn't want UPS to have it too long. I figured that 5 business days for ground delivery works out to a full week out of the caring hands of Carvin or myself. FWIW

14. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Mr. Bear,

Just remember that's it's okay to love your Carvin, just don't looooove your Carvin...;)

Thanks for the post on your new baby. I've had mine for a year and a half now, and I still can't get enough of it. As for strings, a couple of us found that DR Sunbeams are an excellent match for the Carvin sound. Elixirs are working very well for me right now too, and add a little more punch, especially on the G string. Both are a better match than boomers IMO, although Boomers certainly aren't "bad."

Have fun, man!!!