Got my RBI, and...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Nov 11, 2004.

1. The knobs turn really good! :eyebrow: See, the deal is, I'm slowly piecing (sp?) together my rig, and by the time it's done, I should have :

-Sansamp RBI
    -QSC RMX1450 or Peavey PV1500 or 900
    -Eden D-215XLT

Anyways, I have a couple questions, and will be asking more questions as they come up in this thread.

Since the Peavey's weight has just been reduced, and they cost the same (or less) as the RMX1450, and come with rear rack ears, I was thinking of getting one of those. Questiones:

1. Are the Peavey's good for bass? Are they better for PA, and not recommended for bass?

2. Does anyone use on of the Peavey's for bass?

3. If I get the Peavey, where does my preamp plug in? On the input section, it has LOW/THRU outputs. Would I put it there? Here's the only thing I could find about inputs in the manual:

"When the crossover function is not activated, this (LOW?THRU) jack converts to a THRU fuction, where the out put of the electronically balance input circuitry is supplied to this jack. The THRU function provides the means to patch a full range input signal to the other input of this amplifier (parallel), or to other amp inputs in the same rack."

Here's the link to the manual, to help me with the where to put the preamp question:

If I got the PV900, I would be runnin it bridged into 8 ohms until I got another cab, where I would be runnin at 4 ohms bridged, but if I got the PV1500 I would be runnin into 4 ohms on one side, until I got another 4 ohmer and would run it at 4 ohms a side.

I'm thinkin I should have a rockin set-up! I absolutely love the D-215XLT, it is beautiful. How do you all think this setup will sound? Thanks for any help.
  2. you won't have any use for the "low/thru" jacks. you want to plug the output of your RBI into the XLR/.250" input for channel A. push in the bridge switch to the left of the fan and use the bridge speakon output (or the banana plugs, if you prefer). it appears, though it is not clearly explained in the manual, that you can use a standard 1+1- speakon cable using the bridge output.

3. joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    The Peaveys are fine, great, in fact. Get the 1500 rather than the 900 if you can swing it. It is going to be an excellent rig!
  4. Do you have one, or have you used one for bass?
  5. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    im thinking of that setup
    how do you like it
    rbi and 1450
  6. The only thing I have right now is the RBI.
  7. as usual, my input on this sort of thing is worth very little, becuase i usually don't get two different power amps in the lab at the same time to A/B, and i never get anything other than peavey or crest.

so there's nothing actually fruitful i can say about the PV amps except that they sell really well, and if you buy one, you can feel good about residually giving me money.

thanks. :bassist:

8. How do they perform bridged at 4 ohms? (The newer ones, with the silver badge on the front)
  9. Bump. I'm also interested in this, because they're pretty cheap and available locally.
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I clicked on this thread because the title was about an RBI . . . silly me . . . :rolleyes:
  11. Sweet.

Actually, I found out that the "New" Peavey PV amps are not rated at 2 ohms stereo or 4 ohms bridged. :bawl:

Anyways, by any chance has anyone used a RBI with a D-215XLT?
  12. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, me too... After reading the title, I was all wound up seeing new, insightful reviews of a newly purchased RBI...

You thinkin of getting one, Eric?
  13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yeah, thinking of trying an RBI and an Ampeg SVP-CL, looking for some different flavors.
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

IMO the RBI is just like the SABDDI except with many more signal routing options. It also has the midrange control, which doesn't counteract the mid scoop (noticeable when Blend is maxxed), but is still nice to have. My "faux SVT" rig is RBI through Berg NV610 cab.