Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Ric today ...EGAD!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Somebassguy, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    On the package it clearly states in RED BOLD !DO NOT OPEN THIS PACKAGE FOR 48 HOURS IF THIS INSTRUMENT WAS SUBJECTED TO 55 DEGREES OR LESS. I bought it from Musicians friend and i guess it was shipped from kansas city, 2 DAY DELIVERY. Man I'm soo tempted to open and play this damn thing. Anyone ever have this predicament before? Please give me a reason to open the damn thing ...hehe :eek: :rolleyes: :confused: :bawl:

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Actually they should be tuned EADG. Sorry I couldnt resist! :rolleyes: :p Open it! What are you waiting for?!?!? :bassist:

3. DO NOT OPEN THIS PACKAGE FOR 48 HOURS IF THIS INSTRUMENT WAS SUBJECTED TO 55 DEGREES OR LESS

I never heard that before...(But i cant oreder from Musicians Friend here in Canada either.)

I honestly dont see a big deal in opening the thing up...if it got cold...it just might need a setup. Go ahead and open it. :D

When i ordered my RIC from www.ricpage.com last month...i never had a warning on it like that...and i live a hell of alot more north and in colder weather than you.

OPEN IT!

4. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    i have a '79 4001 and love it
    please tell me how your new one treats you!

5. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Hi B'Aces

Did your ric arrive in cold weather. If so did it effect the finish of the bass?

6. Yeah, it was pretty cool here when it got here...and it came farther then yours did.

My finnish was flawless...that i could see no problems.
    If your that nervous about it then just wait it out...it will be worth it.

But i honestly dont see how anything could be wrong.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's there as a warning because taking a bass that's been in cold weather and suddenly exposing it to a warm indoor temperature rather than letting it gradually warm up over a day or two can cause the finish to crack.

8. Intresting...i didnt know that. And that warning wasnt on mine.

55F is about 13C here. So thats still pretty warm, almost t-shirt weather :)

Here anyway :p

9. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Hmmm, well the bass has been in Seattle for over 12 hours now, most of that time in the UPS truck which i presume the driver had the heat on all day. Its been in the low 50s here all day. I broke down and picked up the bass just to see how it felt temperature wise, It felt a little cool but thats about it. I immediately put it back in its case lol! I've heard that if you open the case and let small amounts of warm air in every now and then it is better for the curing proccess and may speed up acclimazition?

BTW, the setup is perfect. Strings are real low to the neck with no fret buzz whatsoever...woot!
    :D

10. That's a weird way to tune a Ric.;)

11. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    ...exposure to extreme temperature swings can cause an adverse reaction in the "conversion varnish" finish that is used on Rickenbackers. That goes for going from cold to hot and hot to cold... it's actually a process that involves the moisture in the instrument.

Visit the Rickenbacker Forum (http://www.brunnet.net/cgi-bin/rickresource/discus/discus.pl) for more info.