Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Roscoe 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oldie but noobe, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Shock and awe is a good way to describe how I like it. I am so overwhelmed by the beauty of the wood. The neck is so cool looking, it is so much more colorful than in the photo as well and the body, the color is so much better in person. It is like cordovan burst more brown that red.
    It is just to much. I can't believe it but it is easier to play than my SR5. That thin neck. The electrics are cool I am trying to figure them out. That double deal is really something like a mid boost. It seams like the one at 12:00 is the blender and the one at 6:00 is the tone. The sound is great but I want to hear it with new strings.

The one surprise was there are no dots on the fret board just on the edge. I didn't notice till I begain to practice an kept loosing my place :D

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on your new Roscoe! :smug: Glad to hear you're enjoying it. To help you with your controls (unless the previous owner did something crazy and assuming that you have a 3-band pre in that sucka'):

The control closest to the pickups (to the left if the bass is in playing position) is your master volume. Go "up and back" (top of the diamond shape) for your pickup selector, go down and back from the master volume for your mid level (pull up on that one to access the mid sweep). Your bass/treble will be stacked and will be farthest away from the pickups/closest to the bridge in the diamond pattern. The bass is on the bottom and the treble will be on the top. Hope that helps and have fun with your new bass. ;)

3. Hey thanks. I did not even know about that mid sweep. Thats cool I get it now. It will help me have fun

I scored it on ebay last week so no manual.

Thanks

Lou

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    ;)

You should be all set now! :smug:

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Small correction: The "up" position on the mid control is not a "sweep", it is a 2nd EQ point for the mids. I don't know the frequency centers off the top of my head, but will try to find out and post them later.

6. Please explain "sweep" and 2nd EQ for the noobie. :D

My hearing is not that great and I am not hearing much of a difference with the switch up or down.

7. Both those things refer to the specific frequency that the midrange control cuts or boosts. The switch might set the midrange to cut and boost either 250 Hz or 800 Hz, for instance. A midrange sweep would be a rotating control that lets you pick any frequency between, say, 250 Hz and 1500 Hz.

Mike

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Mike answered your question about sweep and 2nd EQ point perfectly.

As for the difference in tone with the knob up or down, if you leave it centered, you WON'T hear any difference. Try listening to the difference with the control all the way up.