Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Rumblefish Today!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Well, I took advantage of the clearance at MF and snagged the final black 5L for $549. It showed up a couple of hours ago (along with my new Taylor acoustic g***r), and it is a real blast to play. You guys were right--these basses are so incredible. And with the factory direct pricing they'll soon have, I'm sure they'll turn out to be an even better deal. Anyhow, mine's black with the silver pickguard--looks very classy. Folks, these basses are a great deal! I have a few very nice ($$$$) basses, and this one is an incredible value for what you get.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Coming from a Man with an MTD, Mike Lull, and F-Bass (among others) I'd take that as a pretty high reccomendation. Hmn...maybe for my next 4 string...

3. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Way to be, my man! We're the Fishes... er, the Rumblers...the R.F.'s! Mine is black 4-string #808.
    Those who have not tried are missing the boat! No, they're missing the Fish! TONE monster/ TONE animal/ TONE TONE TONE do it baby yeah! :p

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually...I look for durability in my axes...I'm just freakin shy of Jason Newsteds famous saltwater test. My basses (through virtue of my rather intense live show) have been known to take a bearting.

How sturdy are these things?

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    This is what I wrote in a recent Rumblefish thread. I believe someone here, not to long ago, dropped their 'Fish and it cracked in half!

6. I thought it would be a lightweight, but this bass actually feels pretty solid. I dunno about the durability, but the Rumblefish seems to have a lot more "plastic" than most basses do.

7. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
  8. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    WOW!!! Great buy FC!

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Congrats, Funky C!

As for the Revs durability--Don't forget--the only new ones that are going to be available will all have metal tops. So, durability should be considered in those regards.

I have played a couple of the revs. Dave Siff has #49, and he used to have a bugeye chrome 4 string, too. Both are great basses with a very nice vintage Jazz feel to the neck. And, they are light as heck, and have a really snappy, lively tone.

I have always liked to think that I would get a Brad Houser 5 string someday. With two Curbows on the way, and a third in the planning stages, that day is a far way off, though. This direct sale idea is great for Reverend. This should do gangbusters for his basses. If he has any kind of return policy at all, people will buy them when word gets out. The biggest problem for Reverend was the idea they were "cheap like Danelectros." This is a very smart move for Naylor, IMHO.

10. the basses feel very solid, but they *ARE* semi-hollow, after all, so it's probably unfair to compare them to a p-bass in terms of durability. personally, i don't see how you could do much damage to it unless you're in the habit of hitting walls with your basses or dropping them. i guess i'm not punk enough. :p

11. Well, I just spent about an hour playing the Rumblefish through my Pandora and it is a lot of fun! The Pandora isn't exactly the best way to hear a bass, but I figure if it sounds good in the Pandora, it can only sound better through a real amp. I've heard the term "piano-like clarity" often, but was never really sure what that meant until now. This bass has a very interesting personality and the notes ring out like crazy. The highs were a little too powerful so I lowered the pickups on the treble side a bit, but other than that, everything was set up well. Good B string too. This is a really cool bass for the money.

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    really nice looking bass funky! i'd love to try one but have not seen one in person yet...:(

13. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I'm the guy who dropped his. Actually, it slipped off the strap and fell HARD four feet to the floor. No, they're not built like a Fender. But the sound is awesome! One word: Straplocks! Mine is all fixed now.:D

14. I received my Rumblefish 4-string Tuesday from MF, and I love it! It plays, sounds, and looks great in my opinion. What a deal! It was even setup perfectly right out of the box. I actually thought the setup looked too low until I played it and realized it didn't have any fretbuzz! I love mine. By the way, mine is turquoise.:)

15. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    FunkyC, a big congrats to you. I'm thinking about getting a 5L.

two questions...

How does the B string sound as compared to your other basses?

Since the bass is a semi-hollow body, would I be correct in assuming that slapping would not sound good on it, and that it is predisposed to fingerstyle? if so, that would still be fine...you wouldn't slap a Gibson EB bass, Hofner beatle, or Fender Coranado.

Thanks

16. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    good! you are on your way to have at least one bass of each brand :p

17. I've read elsewhere that the Rumblefish doesn't really get that slap sound, and since I'm not much of a slap player, I can't really say for certain. It sounds pretty good slapped to me, but I can't be sure that it would hold up in a mix. Also, the strings are still really new too, so maybe that's a part of it. Acoustically, it does have kind of a hollowness, so in that sense it does kind of respond like a hollowbody. I'll leave the rest up to the other Rumblefishermen.

18. From my limited experience it seems the slap sound is a bit subtle, but it's acceptable to me (I'm not much of a slapper). Take that for what it's worth.:)