Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Sadowsky Ultra Vintage Metro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr_Dave, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    This bass is killer!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Sadowsky Ultra Vintage Metro #822

Ash body - 3 tone sunburst
    Maple Fingerboard - Pearl inlays
    Tortis guard
    Single coil pickups
    Vintage tone control
    Hipshot

I got it yesterday and haven't had a chance to take it on a gig yet but it is fat!

I will post some picks soon, i had some from sadowsky in my "what colour pickguard thread" but i'll take some now i have the bass.

I'm really glad i went with the single coils. with the 70's pu placement this thing really barks and growls! i took it with a friend to the basscentre in melbourne where i usually get my gear and nothing prepared me for how fat it would be through just a wt400 and an 8ohm quad! It doesn't get scooped though! just to be silly i had the pus blended, bass 80% treble 50% and it was just a huge full punchy tone that wasn't even too bright!!! part of that is the ampeg quad but it was one of the newer ones, not a classic. this is still with the stainless strings too and i usually like nickle!!!! man slapping like that was nuts!!!

the finish on teh back of the neck is magic too! so smooth! i was also very impressed with the consistancy of tone and volume from the open E to the highest Eb. no dead spots, not change of sound, just huge punchy tone on every note.

as you can see i'm pretty excited and am probably typing so fast this isn't making sense. but being a student deciding to spend $5000aus dollars getting a sadowsky shipped having never played one was always a risk.

i could not be happier!!! :)

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats you have one awesome instrument , enjoy. :hyper: :bassist:

3. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
  4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    WAY cool, The best looking Metro 70's I've seen, congrats!

5. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks!

i've just been at a friends house "ab"ing the bass with some warmoth parts basses he has and a few other things. he also has a 1960 stack nob jazz :eek:

the sadowsky came out on top!!! easiest to play, good weight, wonderful feel, so consistant, and the preamp is fat fat fat!!. i could go on repeating myself but i'll just get borning.

summary: I LOVE THIS BASS!!! :bassist:

6. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    very cool mate...but AU$5000!!!? wish i had that sorta money to drop on a bass...but then i'd get a rull rig AND bass with that :p
    love the block inlays by da way...

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    yeah i paid $3160us plus australian taxs/duty etc..

i just guessed on the exchange but i just calculated it...

so with the exchange rate as it is that puts it at about $4400.

I have a orginal 1975 fender jazz ash/maple that i loved and then had the pu's rewound and it was never the same. but the main problem was it weighs 13 pounds and gave me rsi and back problems :crying:

but this sadowsky is nuts!!! it destroys the fender for playability, consistancy and i love the pre amp.

i'm going to sell the fender for about aus$3000 which is how i'm paying off the sad...

EDIT: and at the moment i really can't see myself ever selling this bass. i might like others but this has everything my favorite fender used to have but has none of the problems.

although it was hard to save for this and i paid for it myself (parents lent me the money but i have to pay it back selling the '75) it really its justafied for me because i can see myself enjoying it everytime i play it for a very long time.. :hyper:

8. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Welcome to the club. Beautiful bass.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Dave i understand, i was never a fender fan but i sure do love Sadowsky basses. :bassist:

10. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Dave, it is a very nice bass you got, but the price you paid for was :eek: , you can check www.music-mart.com
    their price for Sadowsky is very attractive.

11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Congrats Play the heck out of it

Rob

12. Great looking bass - very "vintage"!

Congrats!!

Jeff

13. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Nice Ride Ray Ray. Congrats