Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GOT MY SALAS!!! *Pics*

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Sep 25, 2000.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Hey Guys!!! I Finally got my New Salas Custom 4!!!! :) HEre are the pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HEre are some specs
    <UL><LI>Maple Neck<LI>Alder Body with Quilt Maple Top<LI>SEymour Duncan BASSLINE Soapbars/Preamp<LI>Zon Legacy style body :)</UL>FOR $1000, I LOVE THIS BASS!!!!

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Great looking bass, DM....congratulations!! :)

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    AWESOME!!!! Gotta say though, im not a fan of that headstock! But thats a great looking bass! Hows it sounding? Come on, tell us more!

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I LOVE THE SOUND!!! :) Its soo cool... its the same weight as a regular Fender P-Bass would be like.. but one problem.. the action on it is really low.. what should I do?!?!

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    MMmmmmm ... looks mighty tastey. Congrats! Get a setup for the action.

6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    [​IMG]
    That was only $1000?!? Wow, dude. Congrats and enjoy. I have to agree with Angus on the headstock, but Different Strokes for different folks, I guess. If that bass sounds half as good as it looks, I'm jealous.

[Edited by rojo412 on 09-26-2000 at 01:12 AM]

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    rojo: it was $919 to be exact!!! $50 added for case etc.. etc.. etc.. :) but I LOVE IT!!!!!! i can't believe it -=).. can't believe $1000 can get you this excellent bass.. I recommend Salas to anyone

DM

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Actually, that headstock is quite cool!
    Why to have something ordinary, when you
    can have something special :D

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Tsal: Thanks!!! -=)

Hey
    gmstudio99 or JT: what do you think about this bass? :)

10. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Do YOU like it? Does it inspire you to create new, innovative music? Then it's cool...

:D:D:D:D:D

-GM

11. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    HELLS YEAH!! I LOVE THE THING!! -=)

DM

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats DM. That's a bargain. I think the headstock's different...and nice. I've always been partial to the Legacy body style... at least since I played one.

This ought to be a real eye-opener to those who think there are no choices below a grand. This bass is less than a lot of Carvins (not that there's anything....)

For anyone who hasn't been there, here's Bass Alone's website: http://www.bassalone.com/

Several Salas basses and lots of other cool stuff (check out the Rogers and the Jerzy Drozd basses). I have no connection with them, I talked to John once on the phone. I just think it's great that someone is carrying some other choices out there.

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    very cool! congrats!! body is very reminiscient of a zon, in the body. i dig the neck through, and i am a big fan of the duncan preamp.

yep!, very nice - congrats.

14. cheesepuff921

cheesepuff921

Sep 22, 2000

I am sorry dude but i think it is ugly. no offense cuz i now it sounds and plays great bu ti think it is but ass ugly hehe

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    NICE bass DM, body looks cool, i like the finish, the head stock seems alittle out there to me but it's cause i'm not used to seeing that type. You did Good. that's all

16. odie

odie Supporting Member

Wow very nice bass!!! Whats it sound like?? What kind of music do you play??

While eveyone is commenting on the neck/headstock, I personally like it especially the different wood grain and stain.

Awesome!!!!

17. cheesepuff921

cheesepuff921

Sep 22, 2000
    ;) I love the carpet though

18. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    odie: I play almost anything, but this bass is REALLY punchy.. so it won't fit in the jazz category.. its more of a slapping/punchy tone :) I think its better sounding than a musicman. I Brought it to guitar center, this guy has like 5 Modulus basses, 5 musicmans and couple of Sadowskys and he tried the Salas.. he was like "THIS WAS $919!!! HOLY S**T!!!" :) Gotta love it.. I love it already...

DM

Cheese: hmmmm well its a carpet in the basement nice finish to :D

19. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Couldn't agree more. Glad to hear that Salas' work is as good as we both thought it might be.

So, you say it's more punchy than a Music Man, but does it give good growl? And what about the neck: what would you compare it to?

Finally, on the action front, unless there's buzz or I wanted to spend most of my time slapping, I haven't found action that was ever too low. But that's a matter of individual preferrence, of course. You could try tweaking the bridge or the truss rod yourself, or you could find a pro to set it up for you. (just make sure it's someone who really knows what he/she is doing).

Anyway, congratulations. Look forward to learning more.

20. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Saint: When u pluck on the G string, it sounds like wooten style sound -=) its an awesome thing.... the neck... really smooth.... its like playing a MM bass.. really smooth.. I think the neck width is the same as a Carvin.. 1&5/8" or somethin like that.. a little thicker than jazz but little thinner than P-bass :)

DM