Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Sirius this week!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jim Ingraham, May 28, 2005.

1. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    All i can say is WOW :bassist: :hyper: ..I have to admit i didnt really know what to expect as i got it on kinda of a whim... figured it would be like the cable musak channels but what a pleasant surprise to discover its like real radio just without the commercials and with themes. The dj's are intelligent and tasteful and put good set lists together. The music is great, the sound quality is suberb and the receivers are portable...you carry em around like a cell phone and plug into docking stations. Its all very 21st Century!!! :hyper: So far my favorite is the classic vinyl channel...what are you folks listening to??? Theres so much there its a bit overwhelming...

2. I have it on the satillite and frankly I'm not impressed. The stations on there that I listen to are no better than the corporate radio stations around here. They play the same songs over and over again just without any commercials.
    But if I had to pick I'd say Faction and Alternative Nation.

3. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    well now you'll be able to listen to howard stern uncensored i would but my rentz probably won't let me get sirius for that reason :(

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    cool. I have XM and love it. I hear the alternative stations are slightly better on Sirius, so I'd probably have gone with that if it wasn't for the fact that XM has every MLB game :)

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've had XM for over a year, and its incredible. Everyone's tastes are different, they are both good services, but I prefer XM over Sirius. Its the best $9.95 per month I've ever spent.

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I've had sirius for two years now, I think it's great. I spend most of my time on Planet Jazz 70. I don't really have much of a selection on FM radio here in rural indiana. I use the internet streaming a great deal as well.

I used to listen to Alt Nation most of the time, but the DJ's on there got so horrible that I can't stand to listen to them. Madison and Demos make me want to slam my face into a wall repeatedly.

BTW - when you guys change channels on sirius, is there a delay (like about 3 sec.) before the new channel starts playing. I'm trying to figure out if Sirius is just that way, or whether it is my reciever.

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    The only thing that sucks about it... no local dj's... like i would love to see 107.7 bone's Lamont & Tonelli on Sirius.... i would so get it then...

8. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Yea i get that delay...i think its built in...

9. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I've had Sirius for about 6 months and I love it too.

The member who said he wasn't impressed must be on crack. :p

I listen to many of the channels - there's something for every mood.

If you like talk shows (which I didn't before hearing this one) check out The RadioChick on Sirius 148 10am EST - 2pm. It's informative and absolutely hillarious!!

:D

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    How much does it cost? I'd like to get a portable Sirius one...I know the $9.95 a month thing, but how much does it cost for initial subscription and the player, etc.?

EDIT: Nevermind on the players, I saw some nice ones at the site. What's the cost of subscription in Canada?

11. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    It's actually $13 for Sirius and $10 for XM. IMO, Sirius is the better option.

Radio packages go for around $50-$150 depending on what you want.

My package cost $50 at RadioShack. I got the Sirius receiver, the car kit, the home kit, and a portable boombox. Sign-up was free - though I'm not sure about XM's signup.

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Thanks! Very encouraging...I might have to pick it up ASAP.

13. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Holy S*** you got a great deal at your Radio shack.... they get 150 for the tuner + carkit and another 50 for the home kit at mine...i ended buying direct from Sirius for 140 with the car and home kit and i get a 50$ rebate back...

BTW i think both Sirius and XM are 13/mo. now

The other thing i really like is that the Music channels stream over their website which basically gives you another free radio and listening station

I cant wait for Martha Stewart to start :bag: :ninja: :D

14. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yep. I spend almost as much time listening on-line as I do in the car.

2 years ago I got my receiver for $100 then got a $100 rebate sirius, so it ended up being free. Sweet! My current subscription runs out in august, so now I'm trying to decide if I want to go ahead and take the plunge and get the lifetime subscription, or keep payin yearly.

15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup

16. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    It was probably a week before Christmas. I'm sure that had something to do with it.

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My favorite radio station several years ago, KERA (Dallas) had some kind of meeting where they looked at the local competition and said "Hmmm There are no other stations playing the same mix of music as we do...but the are 79,412 news/talk stations in this market. Clearly the public would rather have endless jabber." And, unfortunately that's what they did. They still play music for six hours a week, 7-10 PM Saturday and Sunday. But the rest is NPR talk. *Heavy sigh*

Do any of the satellite stations play the kind of stuff KERA used to play, all on one station?

Examples:
    Lots of singer/songwriter/folk stuff-David Wilcox, Tom Prasada-Rao, Christine Lavin, Dar Williamson, John Prine,Sara Hickman...
    Lots of world music-King Sunny Ade, Johnny Clegg and Savuka, Malathini and the Mahotela Queens, Miriam Makeba, Angelique Kidjo...
    Lots of artists that later became household names- Dave Matthews, Blues Traveler, Bare Naked Ladies... (before they had widespread airplay)
    Lots of stuff that should have been on rock radio, but wasn't-King Crimson, Steely Dan, Frank Zappa...
    Lots of really old-school blues, Jazz from many eras, and things that defied categorization.

Is there a satellite station like that?

18. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    There's not one station that covers that wide of a range but there's a half dozen that combined ,more than cover it...go to either Sirius or XM's websites and sign up for the free 3 day online pass. Its long enough time to get the feel for each station...from what i heard probably XM would be your better bet.