Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

got my SSII!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Dec 14, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    after having to hunt the UPS guy all over downtown madison, i finally got my SSII!!!

it's ridiculously sweet!!! my favorite bass i've ever played. has most of the low mids and growl the thumb had, with a huge fat bottom and a more versatile tone. and it balances perfectly.

woo!!! i'll post some pics if i can snatch a digital cam.

jason

2. congrats man!

I think a SSII 5-string may be my next fretted bass. Does it have the MEC electronics all around?

Post pics and sound samples!

Edit: It's too bad the SSII doesn't come in a 6-string configuration. I'd love that!

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Welcome to the fold.
    BTW, Hans Peter will build you a SS6. He's built about 2 of them in the last 9 years. He built one for Jorge Casas (Gloria Estifan)

4. I'm a bit worried about the cost involved in that though. I'm currently gunning for a Zon Sonus Special fretless 6, so that might solve my need for a 6 anyway.

I would assume going custom from Warwick would be a pricey thing. Am I correct in this assumption?

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Ohhhhh yeah. Even for endorsers, they're expensive. My custom was priced at 2400.00. that's why I haven't ordered it yet.

6. Figured as much :)

It's either going to be SSII 5-string then or just go find another good 6-string fretted.

Gotta focus on getting cash together for the Zon first.... damn neverending GAS.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Tum, tum, tum, tums!:p

8. Tried with the TUMS...

didn't work

I fully accept that money doesn't grow on trees. It sure would be nice nice if assembled Warwick basses grew on trees. In a sense, unassembled Warwicks grow on trees -- it's "The Sound of Wood" after all!

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    is it just me, or is the SSII's neck a little thinner than the thumbs? i think my thumbs was a bit chunkier.

yes it has the MEC 3band and MEC j pickups. don't think i'm going to change anything either - this bass has a great balance between super jazz bass sound and thumb bass sound. but we'll see...

i thought i wouldn't like the gold hardware, but now that i see it in person i love it.

the bass has what i'm guessing are warwick yellow labels on - way too light and bright for me. i'm gonna put some lo riders on there and see what she sounds like.

off to play some more!!!

jason

ps. is it wierd that i think i almost came when i opened the case? :eek:

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Madison has a downtown?;)

I told you that the SSII that I played could get pretty close to the Thumb tone. IMHO, it nailed it, but it did have Basslines instead of MEC's, maybe that was the difference.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    That's been known to happen!;)

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    No. But if you keep opening and closing the case, you'll go blind. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Peace,

James

(what a way to get post #300)

13. I've heard the SSII's neck is thinner, so you're probably correct there.

ROTFL!!!!!! Not that weird actually... I think I had a dumbed-down version of the same feeling when I got my Spector NS5CRFM.

Maybe when (if) I get my Zon...........

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i only know this because i live there.

actually, madison takes up a decent amount of space. downtown is the isthmus portion of madison. it's got the capitol square, state street, and campus, and the two lakeshores.

and me. playing my new SSII. (sorry had to go back on topic)

i actually think a lot of my thumb tone was the strings i used, i'm going to throw new ones on and see.

jason

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    holy sh!t, i forgot the wierdest part!!!!!!

the basses case - the nice warwick hardshell - has a PHAT PHUNKTION STICKER on it!!! :eek: :confused: i asked the guy i bought it from, and he said it was there when he bought the bass!!!

now if that isn't destiny, i don't know what is!!!

jason

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Man, that's like something out of the Twilight Zone!:eek:

17. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [....ps. is it wierd that i think i almost came when i opened the case?

(From the store PA.) Clean up aisle six!!

Congratulations on the bass. Glad it's working out. I still like the Thumb better.

BTW, Jason, incase Jon forgets to mention it be advised that Wayne Shorter will be in Chicago March 22 and John Scofield is playing the Barrymore on 1/28. The sound at the Barrymore sucks canal water but it might still be worth it to see Scofield. As for Shorter, I saw him once at the Park West in Chicago around 1979. He was playing with a 'pretty good band' back then. Let me see…what was their name? Decent bass player…hmmm…Ah yes, Weather Report!'. Anyhoo, Shorter is a legend, I'd strongly encourage a trip to the big city to see him.

18. So are you going to like buy a nice bass with your Social Security Insurance money or what?

Dood!! That is hella killer! *hair toss*

:p

Congrats on the Warwick bro! :)