Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Streamer Pro M5 today!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Jan 9, 2004.

1. It has the neck feel of my Thumb but slightly wider and it's very comfortable. The string spacing is tighter than I'm used to but it makes for a wicked fast fretboard. The clown that owned it before me swapped the MEC pickup for an EMG and the solder joints look like a four year old did them One MEC preamp has been removed and one remains. The only knobs that do anything are volume and treble. It sounds incredible but I think I'm gonna' install the EMG 3-band preamp that goes with the pickup. I'll do the 18v mod if possible.

Even though it's been butchered electronically, I still think it's nicer to play than my Thumb and it's my first five string. I'm diggin' it!:D

[​IMG]

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Those are nice. Congrats, I used to have one in honey violin also.

3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Good Looking Bass.
    Realize what you have.
    A true Discontinued Classic destined to be a Collectable.

Suggestion:
    Restore the stock preamp and pickup.

Warwick Streamer Pro M

Production began: 1997
    Production ended: 2000

Wenge Neck, Brass Nut, Inset Straplocks: '97-'98
    Ovangol Neck, Teflon Nut, Strap Buttons: late '98-2000.

Press Release Statement:

Crafted from select flamed maple, the Streamer Pro-M is precision cut
    and hand-shaped with meticulous attention to detail unmatched by any
    other bass in any price range. The concave back is curved inward,
    making it uniquely comfortable to wear. The body's top is overflowing
    with curves and contours making it one of the most fluid body
    shapes in the Warwick family.

The twin jazz pickups mounted in the harmonic "sweet spot"
    combine with all of the fine craftsmanship to make this bass
    a serious workhorse for the most discriminating players.

All Streamer Pro M basses come with 2 onboard active preamps.
    Note: even though the Pro M looks like it has just one humbucking pickup,
    it actually has two separate J-style pick-ups.
    Each pick-up has its own individual stacked bass and treble control.
    The top knob boosts or cuts the treble
    and the bottom knob boosts or cuts the bass.

AAA Flamed Maple 2-piece Body,
    3 piece Wenge Neck, oil finished,
    Wenge Fingerboard
    Gold hardware
    MEC Active Twin J Pickups
    (with a built-in dummy coil in the center
    to filter out hum when a single coil is selected).
    MEC, BEC II 2-way Dual Preamp Electronics
    Bass +/- @ 100 Hz
    Treble +/- @ 2kHz

4/97: Bass Player Magazine
    Review by Scott Malandrone

Sound - 5 (highest rating)

"Funk Approved Tone"

"The Streamer's single pick-up leaves plenty of room to slap and pop."

"The overall playability of this axe is very good..."

"...The Streamer ProM has a tone that's tailored to be heard
    in funk or heavy-rock gigs."

Streamer PRO M5 Review: Guitarist Magazine, UK.

This bass, with its more traditional matt finish, gives off that unmistakeable aura of quality. Again, the curved body is the ultimate in comfort (providing you're not pigeon-chested) and proportionally it's hard to realise that you're playing a 5-string. Using the same combination of woods for body and neck as the 4-, the big difference between the two lies more in the electronics than the fact that this is a 5-stringer. MECs are featured again, but this time using the two-into-one beefy pick-up configuration; with pick-ups positioned in reverse polarity, the Pro has a unique voice. That's not to say it's any less good, it's just different. Warmer, tighter tones that can get dangerously funky abound and if you like your bass sound to 'bubble' this is a the instrument for you. Thanks to the reversed polarity, locating the panning control in the centre position provides an effective hum-cancelling attribute which can be a huge asset in 'close proximity' RF situations. Although the basic control functions are the same as the LX4 with Treble and Bass on the stack knob, the internal Pro M circuitry also puts an imprint on the sound which adds to the differences between these two basses. Size is the same for both instruments and the balance is perfect. Although this machine supports an extra string, the profile of the neck again provides great comfort for the left hand.

Why do you want to ruin it?
    It has a famous signiture sound.

EMG's will degrade the growl guaranteed and
    negitively effect collectablity.

"Who the hell put EMG's on this baby? What were they thinking?"

I just reminds me of the mid 70's when all my friends where destroying ate 50's and early 60's
    P-Basses by routing out a bridge postion for their new DiMarzio Jazz Pickup.
    'Cause it was hip and cool.
    Many Vintage P-Basses died for that lost cause.

Don't turn your collectable into a FrankenBass.

4. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I miss my old streamer pro M4!! You should restore that bass with the original pre-amp and pickup. I liked the two pre-amps and dual Js in the sweetspot.

5. thanks to Tony (Antman3820) for the streamer pro-m 5. This bass is so ridiculously comfortable and GROWLY. I've been giggling like a little schoolgirl for 4 days now. Last night I got to play it in a rehearsal and I could hear myself clearly at a really low volume level. It pretty much kills any of the new warwicks I've tried. Now, if only 9volts grew on trees...

6. bump..
    anyone else using one of these right now? If so, what settings do you put the preamps for your favorite sounds?