Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got My SUB 5!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just have to post to let you all know that i just got my new SUB 5 yesterday. I haven't played it through my amp yet (Yorkville XM 100) but I have played it extensively on my Tascam Bass Trainer (wonderful birthday gift from my wife!) and my initial impression is that this is a great bass that really captuires the essence of the Stingray sound, perhaps better than a SR5 (I've owned two.)

The SUB5 cam from Bassnw in great shape. That took a load offf my mind because this was the first bass I ever bought off the net. Once i tuned it, it played wonderfully with no buzzes. The bass was used and $399 but it had been so little played that the original $745 price tag was still looking untouched. I rolled the treble down a bit and i played along with Chic's greatest hits on my Tascam for about an hour. The bass went along with that music just fine, it was really great on " Good Times" and "My Forbidden Lover." The neck was smooth and fast and I had no problems playing anything. I still haven't slapped on the SUB5 yet, but I suspect that will go fine also. In terms of looks, this bass has a black matte pickguard, not an aluminum one, so I think it comes much closer to the original Stingray look.

I'm really impressed with this bass and i would tell anyone, to consder a SUB5, even if you want an SR5. Don't let the painted neck and odd finish make you ignore a great bass. Afterall, the Bongo looks weird and has a painted neck and everyone loves it, why not the SUB too? I hope people aren't just being price snobs.

ed morgan likes this.
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That is a very cool looking bass. I have often thought about getting one of those. Do you know how much it weighs? That would be a bit of a concern for me. Both my Precision and my Jazz are in the 8lb range and I find that comfortable. So I wouldn't want it to weigh much more. Also, how is the balance when standing? I am also interested in how you like it when you play it through your Yorkville. I have the same amp plus the XM400. Lots of questions :) but I am interested to hear more about your bass. Great deal as well

People like that should just be ignored. A great bass is one you like and love to play. It's that simple. :bassist:

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'd like to report that after a 130 mile car trip, I did have to slightly adjust a saddle on the G string which was buzzing when I hit the open G. I have run it through my Yorkville (15" speaker, 100w) and it sounds fine. I get the classic Stingray sizzle and the bass slaps just fine. I haven't weighed this bass but I guess it is around 9 or 10 pounds.

Between my SUB5 and my Peavey USA Millennium 5, I have all the five string sounds I want covered. What is cool, is that i have two USA made basses and I got them both for under a combined $1,200! Buying used or at closeouts is a great way to go if you are a person who has a tight budget. I feel I have to say this from time to time because I would hate to see anybody feel that they can't enjoy music because they can't afford a big name (and big price bass or amp.) There are lots of great instruments and amps at very low prices if you know what to look for and you know where to look.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That's pretty impressive for the equipment you have. Just goes to show that patience and frugality go a long way. I like the Millenniums as well. Very nice bass and a fast neck to boot (I used to have one :) ).

5. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    go SUBs!!! we need more love for 'em!!

6. Sounds like you got a good one. From what I've seen, the SUBs seem to be really hit or miss. I've played a couple that sound very StingRay-esque, and a few that sound very warm compared to real MMs. Not bad, just not like a StingRay.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I don't especially like the Stingray/active sound all that much, so the sound of my X01 with big flats is just fine. Sounds like a real bass.

At $319 new on sale at Guitar Center, I couldn't pass it up just out of curiosity. The only thing that keeps it from being my favorite player is the ungodly weight, which is well over ten pounds on this particular example.

The build is just great, superb fretboard work compared to anything I've seen from Fender in the past couple of years, and it's just the most rock-solid bass I think I've ever played -- though I think MM went out of their way to come up with some extra-gruesome colors (please, WHY?).

I don't think the S.U.B. Sterling is quite as nice as the regular S.U.B. series, but I'm sure it's a good axe.

I'm beginning to think that the buzz about the S.U.B. and its sheer bulletproof industrial ruggedness may soon overcome its price stigma and be a "legitimate" and favored gigging bass. It's just perfect for brutal live work.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree about the SUBs super tough finish. IF someone really wants a bass to take to work instead of a really pretty bass to post pictures on the web, then the SUB makes a great deal of sense. That said, I still don't wanna scratch mine! :crying:

9. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    They really are great basses---they're not Squiers! They're made by the same people that make Rays and Bongos and such.

The Sub5 really is like a Stinigray with 5 strings. You give up a little clarity in the low register (compared to a SR5), but that's just how a Stingray is supposed to sound

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I'm not sure you can.

I no sooner got mine home that I turned around with it in my studio and caught it a resounding CRACK! on the metal corner of a speaker cabinet.

I swear, there was no ding or scratch. It was incredible.

That ugly textured finish is extremely tough.

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Nice! I've got a 4 string SUB which I love - great playing bass, pretty comfortable and love the tone! Have been thinking about an SUB5 as well, as I orefer the teardrop pickguard shape to that monstrosity they have on the SR5!!!!

I think the SUBs nail the Stingray vibe prety well for the money! Although - they ain't quite Rays! (having said that, mine sounded pretty much like a buddy's pre Ernie Ball 2 band EQ Ray!!!!)

12. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Sounds like it'll be great for kicking around the floor for punk gigs :bag:

13. Is there some particular reason you think the S.U.B. Sterlings aren't as good? They are more expensive so I'd hope they'd be better!

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think they are equal in quality.

15. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Cool, ive got a SUB 5, great bass, very funky tone, pretty much just like the stingray but bigger and thicker.

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    They're uglier and cheaper-looking (which is really saying something when talking S.U.B.s) to my eye because they have a different bridge and don't have that trademark MM control plate.

The MM metal finish is gorgeous, with really great plating compared to any other production bass I can think of (good metal and high-grade plating are expensive), so seeing less of it when I first saw a S.U.B. Sterling made me think that they had just cut some more corners on the regular S.U.B. before I found out that it was a different bass.

As I said, I'm sure the S.U.B. Sterling is a fine bass, it's just that I think the regular S.U.B. is a little more substantial looking.

On the other hand, a S.U.B. Sterling might weigh a little less, and massive weight (10#+) is the only real objection I have to my S.U.B.

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Bingo.

It's also a pretty good bludgeon.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Things have come full circle. I have just put a beautiful SR5 on layaway. This bass has a natural finish, tortoise style pickguard, and a maple fingerboard. I had wanted this bass for a long time but the price was too high, the local merchant decided to blow it out with a 25% price reduction so I had to move. I feel really blessed. I had to let go of my higher end basses a while back and now I have worked my way back to one of my all time favorites. This bass looks just like an SR5 that I traded in towards a Modulus Quantum 5. This past year, I've been through a lot of basses, but I trust that my SUB5 and SR5 will be my arsenal for years to come. Looking back, I have owned more Musicman basses than any others, so why let go of what I keep coming back to in the future? Afterall, youth is for experimentation, at my age, I know what I like, and it is Musicman!

19. nice, my uncle (who told me) SUBs have a killer slap tone. Those are actually on my wish list of a future 5'er.

20. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Trying to see what these old USA Subs weight. Can someone help me out?

Sorry for reviving such an old thread.