Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my SVP today.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Aug 22, 2003.

1. And man is this thing great. Sounds really good. But. The hum is insane! I am going to have some groove tubes dropped in there, and the filter capacitors and that ought to get rid of the hum. But now all I need is a power amp, a rack case, and a cabinet for my full amp:) :( :bawl: :bassist:

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I've heard that if you leave the amp running for 24 hours or so that the hum clears up quite a bit, have you tried that?

3. I'll start that now.

4. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    What are you doing with the filter capacitors?

I'm considering an SVP-PRO, but this hum I keep hearing about concerns me a little . . .

5. Nothing. But I was told that changing them will get rid of the hum. But I think they guys I bought this off of just put crappy tubes in it (electro harmonix, good tubes?). But like I said, I am still gonna put Groove Tubes in there.

But I am more interested if this 24 running thing will work.

6. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Well, I've heard that the hum is not really a result of the tubes. It may be the tubes to some extent, but that its primarily the filter caps.

I have an SVT-CL that has a bit of a hum, so I'm assuming its related. But, I don't notice it after I start playing. . .

7. The Groove Tubes may not be the best choice. Fequently, many users here state that Groove Tubes would be their 3rd or 4th choice.

I wouldn't normally make mention of such a small thing but since you're trying to chase hum away, that can turn out to be a real pain in the a$$.

Personally, I'd do some searches for posts by Psycho Bass Guy.

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    groove tubes would hardly be an improvement over anything... and i'd say a pm to pbg or email to lord valve is in order here. 95% of the time switching to properly matched tubes will alleviate the problem in an svp. it did in mine and most others on here who ran into a similar situation. excellent pre- though! :cool:

9. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Joe is is right. I bought the SVP from him and there is no noise. Whatever he did worked.Even if there was noise, this preamp is well worth it;) :)

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Does anybody know if there is validity to the filter capacitor idea? Anyone done that with success?

I'm thinking about retubing my SVP now. It's been retubed, but maybe not with the right ones.

11. Well. I found out that the tubes in there are stock (pfheew). But what tubes would be best to put in there?

12. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i bought some matched chinese nos jan's from lord valve and it was a killer sound. VERY tubey and svt-like but not a ton of definition in certain settings... if you tell him what you have, and the tone you want, he'll hook you up with what you need. mine cost less shipped than a lot of 5 groove tubes which wouldn't necessarily have been matched and to me just sound very cold and dry.

13. I am not sure. I just want to go to an electronic store. I bet anything is better than stock tubes.

14. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    hardly! if they are not matched properly, they could be $200+ of telefunkens and you'd still get hum... you don't have tog though lord valve if you can find a reputable electronics shop that will find you something they can match up on a tube meter. if you get GT's they just pull 5 out of the "GT can" and hand them over. don't forget that you need 4 12ax7's and 1 12au7 for the drive... ;)

15. I know I know.:rolleyes:

:bassist:

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've been using my SVP-PRO for over a year now there is no hum & I bought it used from Guitar Center. I guess I'm a lucky one.

17. I tried the lord valve chinese route. guess what?

It's still as buzzy as ever. I wouldn't waste the money, just get a really powerful poweramp and turn the gain down on it.

18. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    You keep saying that you think Groove Tubes will be better than stock, but check this: THE STOCK SVP TUBES ARE GROOVE TUBES! Now they may not be matched, but those ARE what Ampeg uses in their amps.

Personally, I own an SVP that I bought new off Musician's Friend, and it does not hum nor have I had any problems with it whatsoever after almost a year.

Are you sure you aren't just getting single-coil pickup hum that you can finally hear loudly with this new rig?

My Jazz Dlx has noiseless pickups (humbucking J's) and even with all settings on 10, the whole rig (SVP included) is DEAD silent unless I hit a note.

19. You guys are killing me talking about "matched" preamp tubes. Concerning preamp tubes, all "matching" does is group them by relative voltage gain. Preamp tubes are cathode biased, which means self biasing, so you're NOT matching them for balanced amplification, but rather equal gain. It's pointless because dependent on HOW the circuit runs the tube, the gain will vary according to the stage. You could take a greatly dissimilar group of preamp tubes and, using an RC network, balance them electronically. That would be only balancing them for the sake of "balance" and the sound wouldn't be all that great. Forget all the "matching" talk. If it hums, it's a fault in the preamp and it needs to be fixed.

20. lol, i knew something sounded fishy about that.