Got my wallet stolen tonight

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Feb 19, 2005.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey all

I got some questions on what to do about this situation.

I was at my friend's birthday party, which was a restaurant with DJ and everything. There were well over 100 people there, many of whom were not even invited. The room was completely dark except for the flashing strobe lights. I had my wallet in my jacket pocket. I put my jacket on a chair (big mistake) and met up with my friends. About an hour into the party, one of my friends approached us crying. Her brand new digital camera had apparently been stolen. She had put her purse underneath a table, and when she went to check on it, it was on the tabletop, completely ransacked. My friends and I reported this to our host, who went to the DJ and management to make an announcement about lost/stolen items. It had not even crossed my mind at that time that my wallet was still in my jacket.

About an hour later, more belongings were reported as stolen, so the DJ made another announcement. My friend and I realized we had left our jackets on the chairs, so we went back to check on them. My jacket was on the seat, with all the pockets emptied. My wallet which was in my pocket was gone.

I had some cash in there, as well as my school ID, which I can replace. My real concern is my learner's permit. I read my state's DMV policy on replacing lost/stolen permits, but I still have some questions.

Should I report this to the police? Even if I did, I know that the chances of ever finding the wallet are slim to none. Furthermore, I'm concerned about someone committing a crime and getting arrested, and has that permit on them, thus tracing it back to me. What should I do?

Thank you.

2. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Sorry to hear that, man. It's never a good time.

I lost my wallet a few years back at Warped Tour. I got my wallet back at the end of the day, minus a few hundred. :meh:

It's unlikely that anything would be traced back to you for whatever reason, but I don't think it would be a bad idea to report it.
  3. Well, I wouldn't worry TOO much. Given the fact that you're young (15, I take it?) they aren't going to be going after your credit cards or anything. As to your ID being found on them during a crime, well, since it's YOUR picture on it, not theirs, basically all you are going to get is a phone call saying "We've captured a suspect carrying your ID. Would you care to come down to the station for a few questions?" At which point you can either fill out a report OR press charges. Depends on what he is caught with.

No YOU'RE not going to get in trouble. Unless you drive without that piece of plastic.:D

Rock on
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Wallet chain. Always keep it with you.
  5. Wallet never leaves my person unless secured in a safe container/place. If you've got no pockets, drivers license+debit card in socks. No socks, well, use your imagination, i haven't run into a situation where I can't secure it somewhere.
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Keep your wallet in your pants. If you are in a sketchy area, say Bourbon Street or a Concert, always put your wallet in your front pocket and check that it is there occasionally.

I have seen way to many things on TV about super-pick pockets who could steal damn near anything off your person without you knowing it to trust anyone in a crowd (even at a party where you know everyone).
  7. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Well that sucks....

Anytime I go into a place that is going to be crowded. My wallet moves from my back pocket to the front.
  8. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I've been there and I have some solid advice for you(and others for that matter).

In Canada, the credit agencies allow free reports yearly(one reason is incase of fraudulent activity). Yes, you may be young but do NOT think once that you are NOT prone to identity fraud. It is easy to do, but I'm not gonna get into that.

If you ever end up carrying several things in your wallet(bad idea, btw). PHOTO COPY your bank cards, credit cards and ID and keep it somewhere safe. That way, you have a reference incase you face this again.

I have CAA(I guess its AAA in the USA) and they offer a service where if you have lost/stolen wallet they keep a tab on it and call the appropriate people for you so you don't have to.

Now for the gig stuff......

I keep a fanny pack attached to my bass cabinet and it faces toward the drummer(read: away from the crowd). If I need something from it I make a habit to keep my car keys, cell phone, whatever in that fanny pack. I might keep $10 in my pocket for food/beer in the bar while I gig(if the owner don't provide it).

I hope this helps you and anyone else reading this.
    It sucks to lose your ID(however it happened) but I don't ever want to deal with the nightmare of having my identity stolen. It is a rising problem and it won't be going away anytime soon IMHO.

9. Step 1 - Drink somethiong that makes you big,green, and scary when you get mad
    Step 2 - Find these punks by tearing the town apart
    Step 3 - Have the army destroy you before you're down finding the wallet.

And yes I DID just wake up so I have no idea what I'm saying.

But good luck.
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I used my imagination and now Im wondering how you deal with a smelly, brown ID and credit cards.
  11. +1(hundred)
  12. lol, you can make a little holder for them by using some duct tape and taping them to your wasteband in a matter that they won't come out, thats all i meant. I didn't mean prison style storage. :)
  13. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

Eric Cameron: The permit doesn't have my picture on it. It's a slip of paper about the size of a movie ticket with my name, DOB, and permit number on it. That's why I was worried about the possible identity theft. Hopefully I can clear this up when I go to the DMV next week.

14. Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Always report to the police if your wallet is stolen. I can't see a reason why you wouldn't, though I admit didn't read the OP too carefully.

I once forgot my wallet in a university next to a coffee machine. I had recently got some gig money in cash (about 150 euros), and it was of course in the wallet. I was doing the sound mixing to a play and after the first act, I noticed my wallet was missing. I went down to the coffee machine but I didn't find the wallet, and had to go back to the mixing as the show continued. Afterwards I went down again to the coffee machine, and this time I found the wallet behind a sign on top of the coffee machine. Half of the money was missing, but at least the wallet was there with all credit/ID cards and other stuff. Obviously the thief had a little bit of conscience left... :)
  15. Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    In the future, always keep your wallet in your side pocket. It is possible for an experienced "pick pocket" to steal it from your back pocket. Wallet chain sounds like a good idea too, but I still like to keep mine on the side.
  16. Its a bit of an old thread guys, i think he has given up on finding it :p
  17. CrashBang

Jan 1, 2008
    Newton, MA
    In MA they use your social security number as your liscence number. This can be dangerous in I.D. fraud. They do allow you to change it to a random number. I suggest you all do this.

18. Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Hahaha didn't realize this was from 05. Damn noobs bumping old threads!
  19. peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Always report a theft. They won't find it, but you should report it. Here (in FLA) if it's been reported, there would be no charge for a duplicate license. If people's things are being announced as stolen...perhaps it would be wise to make sure your things are safe.
  20. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California