Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Walter Woods!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by berklee46, Sep 7, 2001.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    My Walter Woods amp came today and I wanted to say how incredibly impressed I am by it. I had to replace a Trace Elliot (which had my 'perfect' sound) with something lighter and smaller, so I was a little skeptical to think a tiny 6 1/2 pound amp could do it.
    With all the controls set flat, this amp is wonderful. No need to tweak the EQ to get a sound. Very tight and articulate, but still punchy and full. I'm using it with Flite cabinets and my Status 4-Strings and Ripley 5-String sound amazing!
    A little different than my Trace, but definately not bad at all.

Thanks to all who offered comments/advice about the Walter Woods before I bought it. I appreciate it.

Scott

2. Please share...
    How the heck did you get your hands on a Walter Woods amp?

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

To tag on to Donne - and how long have you been waiting for it?

4. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    After a couple weeks of phone calls, e-mail and using every search engine looking for one, I still came up with nothing. (Although an old 100 Watt amp sold on eBay for $830 - wow)

Anyway, I spoke with Brian Barrett (www.thelowend.net - GREAT guy) and asked if he had any knowledge of one for sale. He had just sold one a week before and had none. He was nice enough to call in a favor and got one of his connections to let one go (imagine having extras??)

So, bottom line is I got one a week later. It's about 3 years old and not a scratch on it. If I bought new from Walter it wouldn't be in better shape.
    Walter has been great giving me info on age, who it was sold to, features, etc.
    If you can find one out there, I'd definately recommend grabbing it - well worth the effort and the money!

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have had one on order since March. Walter told me expect to wait until November. Only two more months to go :eek:

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thanks, Brian. The wait just adds to the mystique.
    A real solid investment, especially if you ever sell it.

Well, as my friend Walter, (not Woods), used to say, "Don't frown....momma waited nine months for me and look at the prize she got!"

7. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Which model did you get. I just got the Ultra High version...the one with 1200 watts. I am using it with EA cabs. I love it. It is the best investment I have ever made.

[​IMG]

8. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Since beggars can't be choosers, I was offered the "Hi Power" Model, so I jumped on it. It's 300 @ 8 / 450 @ 4 , so it's still pretty powerful.

I spoke with Kurt at Flite, who made my new cabinets for me, and he said that he plays with this model WW and that it's the best match as far as power and what would work best with his cabinets.
    (I've got a 1x15 w/ 5" mid & a 2x10 w/5" mid + tweeter)

90% of the time, my amp is used for my stage volume and I play through the PA.

Did I mention the SOUND?!?!?!?!?

9. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Mucho congrats!! I've had mine about 6 months and love it. I've been mainly using it with an Eden 4x10xlt and 5 string. A very clean sound, including down into the lower area. Have fun!

10. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Boobinga,

Do you have the same model as I do? If so, have you ever found it to have not enough power?

It's much higher than the GK800RB, which got me through years of gigging, so I don't anticipate a problem...

11. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Berk...I've got the Ultra, so my sitch is a bit different than yours. What I have heard over and over again over the years is that Walter Woods amps do play really loud. I know a guy with an old 100 watt unit he uses with his upright. He says it has killer volume and tone EQ for when he needs it. For what it's worth.

12. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Thanks for the reassurance. I'm sure I'd have plenty of power for most situations I may find myself in.
    Besides, even if I did end up giving up a little volume, the TONE of the amp more than makes up for it.

13. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    Does anybody know if walter woods have a website? I was trying to locate it, but I've never found it. Any help would be greatly aprecciated.

Danny

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Walter has no web site, you have to contact him by phone or snail mail. He's a one man operation and his amps are NOT really for rock players, they are aimed at jazz players who want a very clean and uncolored tone.

As far as power, Guitar Player reviewed one of the old 100 watt models many years ago and bench tested it as being well over Walter's ratings. Rated 100 watts at 8 ohms and 150 at 4 ohms, it tested out at 50 % more (!!!) 150 into 8, 225 into 4 at onset of clipping!!!!

BTW, those who have never seen a WW in the flesh should double check stroy's pic...that is is a TWELVE HUNDRED WATT amp that weighs less than 10 pounds and check out the size relative to those 10" speakers in the cabinet!!! Interesting piece of engineering to say the least.

15. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    That was the thing that impressed me, I've once played a Walter Woods and I was joyfully happy playing it, and I cheked the history with a friend of mine and I though that he had a web site, but thanx for the information

16. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    With all these Ultra-Hi-Power WW amps out there, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I should have gotten the more powerful one...?

I've been using a Trace Elliot head, which puts out 600 @ 4 ohms and has always been PLENTY of power for me.
    Should I be concerned about the WW being 150 watts less???

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    With the cabs you have listed in your profile...no. Unless you need to play super loud with no PA support... and I think you'll still be able to do that. I like the Woods so much more than my Trace AH 500:(

OT: I just did a gig Saturday night and while this may sound crazy to some, I'd put my Amplified Music Products BH-420's up against a like-powered (400w/4ohms) WW any day. I really couldn't hear a difference in the sound and while AMP amps are probably harder to find than even a Woods, they're still going relatively cheap. I'm amazed every time I plug mine in.