Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Warmoth body today!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Feb 1, 2002.

1. I received my Warmoth body today. It's really nice. This Swamp Ash is going to take some work to finish. Very open grain.

I forgot how big a P-bass body is! I can't wait to get started on it.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Post some pictures. I'd like to see it in every strp of production. :)

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool! Count, keep us up to date. I've never done anything like this before and would like to know how difficult it is.

4. I'm going to start a photo journal of the process and put it on a web page when I'm finished.

I will order the neck and most of the hardware next week.

Here is a picture of what I'm going for. I ordered a white pickguard but I think I will replace it with the tortoise shell look.

This is going to be a blast!

5. Nino,

How did you finish your 4 string Warmoth Jazz? I can't tell if that is a full blown gloss finish or what. It looks great.

I bought the supplies from ReRanch to do a clear gloss finish but I'm wondering if I should save that for my next project and do something easier on this one.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I bought the body/pickguard/brigde on eBay. It has a tounge oil finish.

I originally had a Black body w/BasAss II alla Geddy Lee but I was looking to buy a natural one from Warmoth & I found the one on eBay

7. Do the Reranch thing. I don't think there is a realistic alternative. Swamp Ash has open grain and Reranch tells you to use their grain filler. DO THAT!
    It's easy, it's fun and the results from just that first step will turn you on. Order the grain filler from Reranch. Clean the body with Naptha which is Ronson lighter fluid and then stir the grain filler real good until it has the consistency of loose ice cream. Use your fingers to rub it in to the wood and you will really get to know your new bass. Don't mess with short cuts, do what the Reranch guy tells you to do. Call him on the phone and talk to him, his name is Bill. Study the instructions on the web site. It seems confusing until you do it. It's easy. It's like building a model airplane when you're a kid. It's fun.

8. Oh yeah, another thing. Before you do anything, make a stand to hold the body while it dries between steps. Take a nice piece of 1X3 wood. You can buy a three foot length of 1X3 at Home Depot. It will fit right into the neck pocket of the body. If it doesn't, trim it until it does. Screw the body to it using the body's screw holes, but don't use the actual neck screws, use shorter plain old screws. Now you have a handle to hold the body. Next make a stand or jig that you can set the end of the 1X3 into so the body can stand up and dry. Do a good job with all this, because if the body falls, it's gonna get dinged and your gonna feel sick.
    Even if it doesn't get dinged, you don't want it falling when wet and picking up lint and dust and stuff. Phooey! I like to completely assemble a project bass before finishing the body. If you have to do any trimming on the neck to body joint or the pup cavities, I'd rather do this before I finish the beast. Stick a nice piece of wire into the ground wire hole from under the bridge to the control cavity so the the hole doesn't get clogged up with the finishing products. Or cover them with tape.

9. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    I want to see your P when its finished. Im gonna make a frettless P come around my 16th b-day. Im painting a telecaster now, putting zebrasripes on it. Its for my guitar player.