Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my WT 800...now what?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jun 7, 2005.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I got my Eden WT 800 in the mail today, but I live in an apartment. I am going to take it over to my band's practice space later to try it out, but I am confused about how to set it up with cabs. Right now I'll be running it with two Aguilar GS 112 8-ohm cabs 'cause that's what I've got. I'd like to try it in stereo mode using one cab on each side (240 watts on each side rather than the full 400..oh well.) And I'd also like to try it using both cabs on one side and turn the other side off. My questions: how the heck do I do this? The manual is not very helpful. Do I need to flip the bi-amp mode switch on or do I just plug everything in and play? Which jacks in the back do I use and which do I not use?

Also: to run both cabs on one side do I have to turn the other side off...and if so, how do I do that?

My gear is really light years ahead of my brain........ :crying:
    Naw, I just don't want to screw anything up when I spent this much on equipment ;)

Thanks
    -Tim

2. If you want to run both cabinets in stereo mode (with the same signal going to both), put the Stereo/Bi-amp switch on the "Stereo" setting--that is, "Bi-amp" is OFF. (Can't see the zoom photo on the site clearly enough to tell if the button needs to be in or out.) Stereo sends the same signal to both channels, while bi-amp sends the highs to one channel and the lows to the other.

If you want to run both cabs off one side, you can turn the other side off by simply turning the Balance knob all the way to the side that the cabs are plugged into. It says "High" and "Low", but in stereo mode it's really "left" and "right". It's not really necessary to do that, though--with no cabs plugged in, the amp will not produce any output on that side.

Just be sure that you DON'T use Bridge Mono mode (the Brudge Mono switch should be OFF, with no LED) with both cabinets--the impedence will be too low, and you could fry the amp.

Mike

3. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I just tried it with headphones and it is pretty freaking awesome. I have not hooked up the cabs yet.. can't do that in my apartment :(

4. Hey, you're in Omaha--you can drag it over to my place and hook it up! (Seriously! PM me if you want to get together--it's always cool to hook up with other area players...)

Mike

5. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Woah, small world, Mike! Well, thanks for the offer, but I took all my gear back to my band's practice space tonight and tried it out. Everything sounds pretty awesome, though I kept it at a low volume since it was late and the other guys weren't there. I can't wait to try it out with the full band!

6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    helpful tip#22
    If you ever rig the amp in bridge mono mode, DO NOT engage the bi-amp switch. (the amp dosen't like it)
    Run the amp in stereo mode with one cab on each side.
    even with 240 watts per side at 8ohms, that amp has termendous headroom. You'll not hurt for power/volume. Enjoy.

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I grew up in Omaha and now live in KC. :)

That's a hell of an amp.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    One other little-known fact. If you ever do run it in bi-amp mode (into an 8-ohm load only), be sure to turn the "Balance" knob all the way to the left for maximum power.

9. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I tried it in stereo with an Aggie Gs112 on each side then I tried it in stereo with both Aggies on one side. I wasn't sure if you could turn the other side "off" or not so I just played around a bit at low volume.

The amp rules....almost noiseless, great tone, looks cool, not too heavy... the one I got is in perfect shape and it was under $800 shipped...sweet.

Munjibunga, I am thinking of taking everyone's advice and trying bridged mono with only one cab (I've decided that's the best way to get portability and power.) Which of the following would you recommend if I can only pick one and they are all roughly the same price: an eden 410 (dxlt?), a schroeder 1210, or a schroeder 1212?

Thanks
    -Tim

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I play my WT-800 bridged through a D-410XLT, and that is "my sound." It's loud, toneful and punchy (whatever the hell that means), bitchen, in other words. I don't know anything about Schroeder cabinets, but they seem to get some good reviews around here. Based on their website, I'd go with a 1210 to get optimal tone out of the WT.

11. I'm glad you like the WT800. I've owned quite a bit of Eden gear, and always been really pleased with it, though it's not what I'm using at the moment. I'd love to hear the rig in action, though--where's your band playing in the next couple of months? The website doesn't list anything past April 2....

Mike

12. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Munji, I've read all the TB reviews on the Schroeders and the 1210 seems to edge out the 1212 just a teeny bit. The 410DXLT would be cool but I have yet to find a 410 that fits in my trunk and the Eden ones are bigger than other brands. Ah well..getting a new vehicle soon anyway.

Mike--I see you found our messageboard. Our website (the main site...www.killbosby.com--not the messageboard--has not been updated in forever. I think around November was the last update. We're working on it. The Tour dates 2005 section of the messageboard lists Kill Bosby shows in red and Compression (our guitarist Damon's other band) shows in green. Right now Kill Bosby has nothing on the books until August 13th, are supposed CD release party. We have been recording at Voltage Records in CB for a while now...well, we had to redo everything since we fired the drummer we had at the time...then got a studio drummer..now might need yet another drummer for the band...(we have horrible luck with drummers)....anyway, drum, bass, and some guitar/piano tracking is done, now the rest needs to be accomplished and I am going to be out of town for a month in July (my wedding in Milwaukee) so August is the target but it could be pushed back more because we demand perfection! Haha......

Sorry for boring the rest of you with that bit of local gossip......

-T

13. Munji,

You run your amp mono-bridged into a 4? or 8? 4x10? What's the total power output? I'm looking into WT-800 and mono-bridged into a 4? cab would be 1000 watts. I think that'd kill a 410XLT, wouldn't it?

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Make sure you have a WT-800B if you're going to bridge into 4 ohms. Mine's a 2002, and I bridge it into a single 8-ohm D-410XLT for the full 800 watts. The WT-800B will be 880 watts into an 8-ohm load, but 1,100 watts into a 4-ohm load. You actually want an amp with more power than the rating of the speaker cab, for headroom. Eight hundred watts into my 700-watt speaker is just fine, maybe just a little underpowered. EAW recommends 1.5 to 2 times the speaker rating for amp power. Keep in mind, you don't want to use up all your headroom by cranking the amp. It is possible to blow up speakers with too much power. If you're nervous, go with the D-410 XST, which is rated at 1,000 watts.