Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got my Yorkville XM200T the other day...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by invisiman, Jun 13, 2004.

1. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    And I couldn't be happier :D . So much better than my Rumble 15, as I've found more than one useable tone. I'm taking to my drummers this aft to jam with it, so I'l let you all know how that went.

Also, instead of posting a reveiw, I'll be willing to answer any questions you have about the amp that are within my knowldge. :bassist:

2. well, is it really as loud as people really say it is? I keep on hearing the words "loudest 200 watts ever" around this forum. how does the 15" version compare and is it the same volume?

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    IMO, both are very loud for for 200W amps (and keep in mind, that 200W is at 2 ohms, the internal cab is only 4 ohms (which I learned the hard way in another thread) stick another 8 or 4 ohm cabinet on there if you want to hear closer to 200W!

IMO, the XM200T sounds better than the XM200. More definition, definitely sounds tighter and less muddy.

4. yea, but the cab is 4 ohms. how can that be? I thought you needed to hook up another 4 ohm cab if you didn't want to fry the thing. so anyways, now that i find out the truth, I'm wondering, how close is it to being an actual 200w@4? I keep on hearing the wattage and all this division keeps on going into my head, but the real matter is, will it hold it's own in a performance in a large setting? Most of the time, for now, I'm intending on having it play a somewhat large firehouse, and a medium-small staged Cafe. And just for the hell of it, if i plan on getting one cabinet for it, what impedence does it require, and is it good getting a cabinet with wattage somewhat more (like 200 or so watts) than the rating of the amp?

5. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I'm not sure how loud it is yet, as I live in a house with with 4 other people, so that puts a damper on volume, but even putting it up to four, it was shaking the walls of the room it was in.

I found the XM200T to be punchier, and more defined the the fifteen inch one. However, they are very similar amps tonally, but the 15" will have an easier time the lows, and the 2x10 will have a better treble sound. I was not able to test them both extensivley howevre, so someone may find the opposite to be true.

6. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    The total load on the amp can't be lower than 2 ohms. If you add another 4 ohm cab, it's 2 ohms total. If you add an 8 ohm cab, it's about 2.67 ohms.

Scorpion, I'd suggest getting another 2x10 cabinet like the XC210 to put underneath it. I've set that up in the store and it sounds WICKED!!! I just need more wattage because I have to compete with guys who have 100W amps (bass rig to guitar rig ratio should be at least 3:1 if not 4:1 IMHO) But that's another story.

How many people in your venue? What does your band consist of? How many watts is the guitar amp? How loud is the drummer?

I think in most cases, the XM200 would be okay, at least for stage sound, but things vary depending on the context.

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    I found the lows fine with the XM200T, just less muddy than with the 15s. Not that the XM200 sounds bad, it's a great amp! I just prefer the sound of tens and prefer the overall sound of the XM200T and it's big brother, the XS400T to their 15" speaker counterparts

8. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    The back of the amp says the extension speaker needs a 4 ohm minimum.

9. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Don't get me wrong, the lows are fine on the XM200T, I was just suggesting that maybe the single 15" will have an easier time handling the lows. especially with a low B.

10. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    If you are going to add an extension under a 2 x 10" amp add a 15'' cab. It will round out your sound perfectly and you will have the best of both worlds. I have a Peavey BAM 210, I added a 15"cab underneath it and now it sounds just incredible. (my 2 cents.) :cool:

11. My scene varies some shows, from like 50 odd people, to somewhere a little under 300 peops.
    In general, I'm working with a band with a guitar player that has a crate GX60 (somewhere around 40 watts 8 ohms, it's 60 at 4) and a pretty loud drummer. My current rig right now that I'm running through is a Peavey TKO65 (65@8ohms) with a fender P-deluxe. The Peavey, because it doesn't have a tweeter and puts out good guitar sound, is going to be used by my guitarist when i get new gear. Right now, however, I'm aiming powerwise to be able to compete with an Ibanez Toneblaster Half stack.

As far as my amp situation, right now I want a combo that I can purchase (maybe an extention cabinet with it) and I don't want to have to invest in replacement gear unless I need the sound, or unless I need a replacement cuz I've managed to bust something up (very rare). In other words, I want something that will last years. I don't intend on doing a whole lot of loud shows soon, but It'd be nice to have enough sound power to work with a loud guitarist (100 watts) when the time comes (like when i play a wedding gig or something).

I'm looking at the xm200 as a reasonable deal, since i know a dealer that's giving out a good price, but If it turns out there's no way that piece of gear can work with what I'm doing (worst case scenario) then I'm looking at the xs400 combo (I don't think I'll need it or really want it, cuz it's a pretty big spend for me, but just in case).

12. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Exactly.

Two four ohm speakers (enclosure and a 4 ohm extension) would run the amp at 2 ohms, which is it's lowest rating.

An 8 ohm cabinet is twice the minimum of the 4 ohm. The amp would run then at 2.6 ohms, which is above the lowest rating.

Actually, this thread has some different calculations regarding calculating ohms: Ivor's (and other TBers) guide(s) to calculating ohms

I suck at algebra...just use whatever method makes the most sense to you! :D

13. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Hey Scorpion, I think the XM200 will meet your current needs, with or without an extension speaker. When your g*****ist upgrades to the 100W amp, I'd invest in more watts, somthing at least 350W...an XS400T would fit the bill then.

14. so basically, if I go with the xm200, I'm really only getting what I have? Am I going Point A to Point A? I'm really interested in matching up to that 100w rig my guitarist is looking at (solid-state).

so...from what i'm hearing, it sounds like the XM200 is the XM100? someone help me here that knows about this

15. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    No no...

The XM100 is not the XM200. Different preamp, more ouput options, and even without an extension cab it'll run at about 160 or 180 watts (per listed specs of 200W@4ohms), I think...

It takes more power to push lower frequencies, so you want your amp to be more power than the guitarists...at least 3x, I personally suggest 4x just because most guitarists I know have no self discipline when it comes to volume...

..but having said that: if your guitarist is looking at a 100W amp, actually, the XM200 would stack up pretty well against it. When they first came out, the BM400 was the favourite choice of rentals at my store and the XM200 soon surpassed it, so I'm guessing it can cut the mustard. Also keep in mind that Yorkville/Traynor is extremely conservative in their power ratings, so another company might rate that amp a higher wattage.

Also, the rating is the loudest potential output...neither you or your guitarist are liable to consistantly push that much power...

16. all right, now just for a DUMB question. I know what the limitations of the oombo are, but if i take the combo, and an extention cabinet, and then run from the line out into the effects return of a second xm200 with a cabinet, will the wattage come out to 400 watts @4 or something ohms, or will it just be 2 large stacks of power rated at 200 watts @4 ohms?? because from what i understand of bass stacks and so on, you get a head, and then two cabinets that add up to the wattage or somewhat more, and it's a stack that makes a complete package

17. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    You'll be running two stacks rated at 200W...pushing a lot of air, but I don't think it will be 400W@4ohms...you'll be sending a signal to the power amp of the second stack from the first, that's about the size of it...and it's still going to be 2 ohms if you add 4 ohm cabinets.

18. well, it's going to be the 8 ohm cabinets of 2x10 or 1x15, so it will be 2.6 ohms, but i understand: anyway that you cut it it's going to be 200 watts, so it doesn't pay off, it just pushes more air. so now the next question is, the cabinet is rated at 4 ohms, i understand that, perhaps 200 watts. now if I buy a head, and i'm planning on slaving the 4 ohm combo, and the 8 ohm extention cabinet, i'll probably want what wattage from the head at what resistance?

Thanx for putting up with all these questions :p .

19. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    No problem! Let's cut right to the chase...

It sounds like you're looking for 400 watts at least...more power in any case.

...I'd suggest go with an XS400T combo to start, and then add an XC115 or XC115X later.

Or, you can grab the XS400H and an XC410 and another 8 ohm cab of your choice (XC210 would be my suggestion)

You could go head and cab and slave to a combo, but I don't see much point in that. But if you did, the wattage from the head to the slaved combo wouldn't matter because you're just sending a line level signal.

20. dimplebutt

dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    LA
    well if this is any help i got a yorkville 400 head. and i am currently using a 2x12 @8ohm and i switch between a 1x15 8 ohm or a 2x10 8ohm depending on what i'm playing.. and i love my setup great versatility.

volume wise hmm let's see in a full band context the (drums, keys, acoustic guitar, e guitar) my 2x12 is more than enough itself adn that's 260w@8 ohm now if it's like a gig that demands more i just add a 2x10 or 15 to make it 400w@4 ohm.. it's great. i'm actually about getting rid of my 2x10 and chaging to a 4x10.. what can i say i like to be able to be louder than i really need too.. will i use it.. probably not but i'd rather have more than enough power then not enough..

i hated playing at gigs where their bass amp was too quite.. you just can't groove as well.. you're always straining too hear.. so just save up and buy more power. you could never have too much power!!! :hyper: