Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got myself a double bass.. need some help :)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Lovebown, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Hey all.
    I got myself a 1/2 contrabass today. I'm pretty much a total newbie (although I can play electric fairly well) and I'm wondering if anyone could give me any BASIC pointers technique wise as I don't realy know my way around this bigass instrument ...now I know that I will need a teacher ..and I'm going to get one ASAP, but until then I was wondering if there are any websites who cover basic double bass technique and stuff or if anybody has any useful tips or information...pics would be great.

(For now I'm mostly interested in learning to play pizzicato...I think the bow will have to wait until I get a real-life teacher.)

Thanks,
    /lovebown

2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Grattis :D

I haven't read all of it yet myself, but Ray Parker here has a thread about fingering over in Technique. I think the basic hand positions are described there (or on his website). It will take some time to build up hand strength, so that could be something to start with. Just take it easy to begin with.

If you do a search on 'books', you may find recommendations on a good book for beginners.

Lycka till.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I describe somewhat body position and the like here: http://www.bassmuse.com/TheExorcises.html

You're going to be a little lost until you get a teacher. Until then, Use your first, second, and fouth fingers for fingering notes on the bottom of the bass, with the third finger supporting the fourth. This only gives you a one-step reach, but, believe it or not, that's the way it goes. On a half-size bass, though, your string length hasn't gotten too drastically longer, so with it set up with friendly action you should be getting some music out of the thing pretty quickly..

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Rufus Reid's "Evolving Bassist" (millenium edition just published) gives a good introduction to starting Jazz DB (pictures and exercises showing how to get started) and is recommended by many Jazz teachers - but of course is no substitute for the real thing!

5. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Thanks guys, any other help is welcome too...

/lovebown