Got myself a practice bass for the road

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Eagle, Nov 5, 2004.

1. I do a lot of travel for my work and have to stay in hotels quite a bit. I have taken one of my Carvin basses along with me in the past, but I was always nervous that it was going to get ripped off.
    I saw this Rogue 6 string bass and thought, wow... looks decent for $199... double bonus, no shipping and no sales tax.
    So I bought it. It came while I was gone this week and when I got home and unpacked it.... I was shocked!
    It is a pretty darn nice bass, and a KILLER bass for $199. certainly not on a par with one of my Carvin's, but geeeeeeze for the money it plays, sounds and looks great! So much so, my wife asked me if that meant I was going to buy another "beater"... :) So now when I stay in a hotel, I know that at least I won't be risking one of my over $1K bass guitars to practice during the week...
  2. Congratulations! I like hearing about quality bargain gear. If only stuff like that was available when I started on bass back in the 70's.

3. No doubt... when I started playing back in the late 60s, it was Fender precision or Jazz, or a Gibson EB-O... everything else was more or less junk... and there was never anything like this bass in terms of value per $... :hyper:
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Hmm it's a Brice HXB with a different logo on it! It never fails to amuse me how many different companies have the same same bass aside form some little options, and then just change the name on the headstock. Gotta love mass-production Asain factories :D. It reminds me of the simpsons when they went to the food court and the guy below was shoveling ground beef up different conveyor belts to all teh different resturants!
    Anythign that plays decent for under $200 is worth it for a beater bass I think. I just sold my only beater bass, simply because i don't really need a beater adn I hated playing it.
  5. If it is a Brice, I ended up getting it for a smidge less than you can get em from Rondo, especially without having to pay shipping. It plays nice and it sounds OK... gotta keep it away from the TV...
  6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    My girlfriend just bought me one of those for our 2nd anniversary, glad to hear you like it so much!! She hasn't given it to me yet, so mind if I ask a couple questions? How's the slap tone? What's the finger spacing like, do you believe the sound would be significantly improved with new pups and pre? Anything you got would be appreciated, congrats and good luck, looks sweet man!
  7. Sorry just got back here.

I haven't tried the bass on anything but my practice rig, but it sounds good. Slap tone would be excellent, great bell tone. String spacing is just slightly wider than my Carvins... The neck is a little wider at the Nut than my Carvins and about the same width at the body.
    The electronics seem a bit weak, but they do have a midrange on this one that does not show in the picture. Just so happens I am taking the electronics out of my Carvin Fretless and putting in the new edition, so I think I will see if I can swap in the old Carvin pre amp into the Rogue.a
    Pickups seem to be suceptible to hum from TVs, Monitors and possibly fluorescent lights. I am going to look into doing a shielding job in the electronics compartment...
    Regardless, hell of a bass for $199...
  8. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yeah, I've been thinking about putting in an all EMG or all Bart setup depending on how bright/dark the bass is in nature. On the plus side I finally got it this morning from my girlfriend but it has two HUGE gouges on the side of the bass above the bridge pup, they're on the side, like where neck side dots would be, but even so it pisses me off. I'm not sure if I'll bother calling Musicians Friend or not, I may just say screw it and go with it.
  9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Very nice. I went a different route myself. I have a Music Yo Steinberger Spirit that I travel with. It is only a 4 string bass, but it is small enough to make it easier to travel with.
  10. I wonder what it is called in Europe. Maybe a "Harely 6 something."