Got new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jphipps, Dec 17, 2002.

1. jphipps

Dec 15, 2002
    I would like to thank everyone who responded to my post concerning a bass I found this weekend. I bought it Sunday and have been getting back in to the swing of playing the bass again. My next question is what is a good instrunctional book to start with, also if there are any good videos out there. I don't have much free time but I would like something I could go through with lessons to relearn everything I forgot. If there are web sites out there that are better than any book I will check those out instead. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am looking forward to getting back to playing the bass.

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Welcome to talkbass. I have found most books by Carol Kaye to be worth while. Ed Friedland also has several beginner/intermediate books available that have been very helpful. I would also follow AcousticBass' advice and read the lessons posted on this site. Lots of great information. Don't forget to train your ear as well. Listening and playing against albums will help quite a bit. Start simple work big :)

3. I've been beaten to it, but welcome to Talkbass!!!

And I also see a welcome back to bass(yup, I've been beaten to that too) is in order!

I'm trying to think what stuff I used. I seem to remember using books by Mel Bay for a while, and I'm almost positive I used a bass book by Harvey Vinson (I'm sure that was his name!). I'll have a root around, 'cos I know I still have the books somewhere!

Anyway, sit back and enjoy!!! Oh, one other thing, there are some lessons in the FAQ section (I think) on music theory and bass etc. I'll be honest, I skimmed through them - one day when I have time I'll sit down and really work at them (thanks Jazzbo!)!