Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got new SD Vintage pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Jul 9, 2001.

1. I just put a pair of Seymour Duncan Vintage pups into my Mexi Jazz bass. Eh! No big improvement I can hear. They are quiet though. No mo hum. Also soloing the pups gives different tones, unlike the Mexi pups. I guess I guessed wrong on the Vintage thing. Maybe the Quarter Pounder or the Hot models would give more of a boom boom bass tone. I don't know. Installation presented some interesting conundrums. Like what the hell are those little pieces of surgical tubing for??? The tech guy at SD was very nice, but he didn't know.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  3. The shootout is a great article on choosing pups, but when all is said and done the decision is much like an exlax/prune juice cocktail. A crap shoot, more or less. The folks at Seymour Duncan are super helpful and they have a 21 day exchange policy. After buying the pups from a dealer, you can exchange them direct with SD. I got a return authorization number and I'm going to send these Vintage pups back and get a set of 'Hot'. It'll be interesting to hear the diff between them. The tech guy emailed me with an explanation of the pieces of surgical tubing, but I still don't see any purpose for them.