got new(used) fender jazz deluxe V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by masterFunk, Jun 16, 2003.

1. I got this last week so here is the mandatory picture thread! :D

Candy tangerine looks much better in person!
    might be too orange-y for some, but I think I like it.

It has Aguilar OBP-1 in it and it sounds not a whole lot, but considerably better than the stock Pre IMO.
    I think I need to shield the cavities though, which is easier the copper tape or the paint?

2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That look's Great. nice score! :bassist:
  3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Wow... I dig the two different knobs there.... as far as shielding goes... I've never used the paint, but I heard it was kind of a pain. The tape was cheap and simple to apply, and effective. Go with the tape, and congrats on a great looking new bass! :D :cool:

EDIT: are you sure that thing is used? It's so nice... and clean... and... mmmmmm...
  4. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan

Orange rules :D
  5. Thanks!

Yeap! it is used. But what I know is the seller had it for about a month and installed the obp-1.
    I still have the original pre as well.
    Not a scratch on it!
  6. Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    I really like the 4+1 headstock a lot better than my straight-5 headstock.

But I'm still keeping mine. :D
  7. That was one thing I didn't like about deluxe V.
    oh yeah! it doesn't have a flabby low B. I think I got lucky :D right Brad? :cool: ;)
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very nice. I dig the color.

Are you getting any weird noises when you play the bass? I installed an OBP-1 in a bass with passive p/u's & I was getting all these weird radio frequencies.
  9. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Since when do American Deluxes come with a 4+1 headstock ? I have 2 recent American 5s, one Deluxe and one Standard, both are 5 Across the top. Does that thing have an after market neck of some kind on it. Looks nice though. I wish mine were 4+1.
  10. Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    Do you like it strung through the bridge as it shows in the pic's, or have you tried it strung through the body?

If you have tried it, what are your thoughts on the difference?

By the way... the color is nice.
  11. Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    I think it's new for the 2003 model.
  12. nino: with a normal installation, I was experiencing that. I tried different groundings and what not. I attached a ground wire to the control plate and that did the job for me. But there is still some noise.(just like any other deluxe jazz I've tried) So I think I am gonna shiled all the cavities and see what it does.

When I got the bass it was strung through the body. It might have been to the fact that the strings were not that new, but I feel that the String through the bridge is more punchy/spanky.
  13. By the way, the bass is all stock except the preamp. Mine is 2001 model, and I am pretty sure it was the first year of 4+1 headstock production
  14. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Really, new for '03. Crap, I really like that and the dumbo ear tuners as well. Love both of mine and won't get rid of them for what is essentially a cosmetic difference. I had Roger Sadowsky rewind my pickups and install his pre-amp and sheilding. They were nice before, but now the tone can best be described as bone crushing. Crazy me, I actually prefer the larger body of the standard as well. Both are great basses though.
  15. buzzbass, how much did Rogers work cost you?