1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got offered a trade: My Gk212neo for (2) Ampeg 210av's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by creis2, Jun 10, 2012.

1. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I bought a GK 212 neo a while back (the first version, a little skinnier and taller than the newer ones) as a lightweight alternative to my bigger cabs. Even though it's a neo, it's still pretty darn heavy. Specs say 65ish, but it feels heavier. I find myself bringing my NV610 to gigs, because I find it easier to move than the GK.

A friend of mine loves 12's and offered me two of his Ampeg 210av's for my 212. As far as money is concerned, it seems like a fair trade on paper.

I know the GK is a heavy duty cab, not so much the Ampeg. Also, I know the power handling on the GK is much greater (I've read gk's ratings are more accurate than ampeg's).

I have an ashdown head (575 watts), would I be beating the two ampegs up if I used them for a practice/small show rig? Is this a good trade?

2. Practice/small shows would probably be fine. If YOU don't like the G-K cab that much then why not. Personally I'd be rockin the G-K cab, but that's me not you. Maybe you both will wind up happier! :)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I really love those little 210av's, but I'll be the first to tell you that they have limitations. And yes, I believe that unless you are willing to operate in the confines of the lower power handling of the 210av's, it's very possible to beat them up with a 575w head.

Have not heard the Neo 212, so I can't speak about the trade. But this is one of those situations where it's best to try before you commit to it.

4. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Those little 210's are pretty sweet. Whether they'll meet your needs I can't say. For "practice/small show" I would think so. They're not heavy duty but with reasonable care they should hold up well. Ask your buddy if you can try them out. Maybe do a trial swap.