Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

got pics of older ampeg??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by suasa, Dec 21, 2003.

1. alright i started a thread about this earlier wiht no pics but now i have pics and I hope you guys and galls can help me identify what kind of cabinet i have. I was told its a ampeg but i am not sure. so here it is.

2. pic wiht no grill

3. First, the reason you could not find a model or S/N is because it would have been located on the amplifier "section" which has been removed from the top.

Meaning that your cabinet began life as a combo amp.

It does not look like any Ampeg product I've ever seen. That does not mean that it is not. More likely though it is some other kind of amp. It's very distinct design should make it easy for the right guy to identify. The cabinet looks to be some type of "Bass Reflex" design.

I'd suggest changing the title of this thread to "Help ID my amp!" That way more people will give it a look.

4. plastica

plastica

Dec 21, 2003
    watertown wi usa
    this is a late 70s acoustic. not sure on the model # but it was a combo amp that somebody removed the amp from. looks like the origional 15, as it is a match to my 2 15s of the same era. there is one of these on ebay at the moment if you would like to see what it looked like with its "guts"
    I have no doubt that this would be a great sounding botom, my acoustic cab was , untill some punk kid stole it, torched it an mounted the 15s in the back seat of a chevy monza. i got the 15s back but never have found a cab that beat the sound of the acoustic model 402.

5. thanks so ur sure its an acoustic eh

6. hmm i suppose it is this is the one on ebay its very simmilar although it is clearly a differnt year well thanks plastica.

7. plastica

plastica

Dec 21, 2003
    watertown wi usa
    yes, i cant find the one that was on ebay but i did find a near twin to what my rig was, if you look at the design charicteristics it is verry similar, and like i said i did see one on ebay in the last month. if that was my rig id never let that bottom go, but i am verry sentamental about old acoustic stuff as that is what my father always played.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2580492284&category=10171&rd=1

8. plastica

plastica

Dec 21, 2003
    watertown wi usa
    ya thats an older one , there was one just like yours on there i remember looking at the port design thinking that was pretty cool

9. so the final question do u think it was worth $400 CANADIAN remember canadian for the cabinet??

10. plastica

plastica

Dec 21, 2003
    watertown wi usa
    hummm.. in your earlyer post (i just found it) you say that converts to 275 american.. I guess the true question is , does it preform equal to other amps selling in the same price range as what you paid for it??? there are 1-15 cabs out there new for $100 american, but id rather play through yours any day of the week, for that matter id rather play through yours than alot of the stuff thats selling for $275. used prices are so subjectave that u have to decide if your happy with it. it sounds to me like you are.I am sure that if you keep the input to 250 wats or less this cab will sound great and serve you really well for years to come
    I recently saw a marshall 100 watt bass head for $300 , then i bought my 400 watt GK for $300. was the marshall a bad deal?? to me it was , to the next guy it may be just what he wants/neads

11. okay so that wasnt the last question. does anyone know what the impendance of these cabs are?? or were they both 4 and 8. also how many watts will they handle i know plastica said below 250 but i am running my bxr400 and i have the volume about half way and it seems like the speaker starts putting out a crackled sound i dont know mabey its just everything in my room rattling but thats waht it seems like to me.

12. I can understand why someone would think it is an Ampeg. It is very similar to the ampeg combos of the same era. I had an Ampeg B-115 that looks very similar even down to the white trim around the grille. I sold my ampeg because I really needed something more portable and was looking for a different sound. I would have just kept it if I had the room. It was a very cool piece though. Hmmm, maybe I should have kept it. Oh well.

13. bump i really wanna know the impendace and power handling. help please.

14. plastica

plastica

Dec 21, 2003
    watertown wi usa
    i believe thats the same speaker as mine are. my cab had 2 of them in parrellel an was 4 ohm. so i assume they are 8 ohm speakers (well mine would have to be). as for wattage , i think my cab was rated at 400 with the 2 at 4 ohms it really didnt have a wattage rating , i always assumed the model (402) to mean 400 watts with 2 drivers. but it may also be 2X 400...i dunno mabey someone can let us bouth know. i currently have 1 in a fender 1-15 cab hooked to my GK 400rb . havnt played much with this setup , it is on one output an a peavey 1516 on the other.:bassist:

15. well if its a 8 ohm cabinet i am only putting betweeen 120 and 165 watts through it at full volume and i am not even running it at full volume and it is starting to i guess distort a little. anyreasons for this?.

16. plastica

plastica

Dec 21, 2003
    watertown wi usa
    every amp ive ever plugged into has distorted some above 1/2 volume. now im by no means a pro (or even good) but my feeling has always been in any kind of amp that its about as loud as it will get at 1/2 , after that its just distortion. more power an more speakers is the answer! you would gain alot by adding another 8 ohm cab in parrelell, droping your impeadance an boosting the wattage

17. yah i knew that much about addin another cab i am either gonna go wiht a 2x10 or mabey a 2x12 but i was gonna get it in 4 ohm and plug it into my other output. so i can get the full 200 watts into that cabinet and have my low runnin at whatever its at like 140 watts or something and i figured that would be sufficent for most places i play and will be playin for the next couple years.

18. plastica

plastica

Dec 21, 2003
    watertown wi usa
    yeah, an you can also always put another 8ohm cab in parrellel with this one on the same side of the amp to get you to 4 ohms and your 200 watts on that output. thats kinda where i am on my GK 400rb. I have my acoustic speaker like yours on 1 side an the peavey 1516 (4ohms) on the other. it hasnt been played out yet since i got it , but it is plenty for any local bar or even small theater shakes the whole house quite well at 3 and sounds so fantastic! honestly i think the acoustic speaker sounds better than the one in the peavey. if the impeadeances werent different the 2nd would be in the peavey cab already.

19. well i guess thats all i need to know about my speaker thanks alot plasica but i am happy wiht my setup for the amount of money i paid i think over all it cost me 800 canadian approximately 550 american. well i guess tahts it thanks for all the replys mainly from plastica well peace.

shayne