Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got reported for being on TB at work!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Yup, the IT nazi is reporting me to my boss for all the time I spend here when I'm at work.

Meh. If the work was challenging or interesting things would be different, huh? At least thats gonna be my defense!!!!

2. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Then be prepared for your boss to make things a whole lot more challenging AND interesting.

I'd have tried buying off the IT guy first.

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I'm an IT guy at my work, so no worries here. :p

I hope things work out for you...

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

Im the IT Guy at my work lol

Wonder how many of us are in that boat!

5. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    lol. i work in a small computer store all alone. does that count?

i once got "caught" surfing a few years back at a different job. they were spying on my terminal. and send a message "what does, xxx xxx xxx, have to do with this store?" what a jackass. meanwhile he's checking baseball scores every 10 minutes. Nepitism's a joke.

Good luck with your boss. I hate rats.

6. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I think there's quite a few here, actually... :)

7. ouch... good luck dealing with the boss.

8. I'm in IT and the only one in my department ... :bassist:

9. I am :hyper:

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Pete

How much trouble can you get in over this?.

11. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    There's no IT guy at my work, but that's probably because I work at eBay store with only 2 other employees and the owner. Being the Shipping Manager has it's perks though, because basically anytime that I have everything shipped out, and all questions from buyers and stuff about shipping taken care of, I can pretty much fool around on the internet. Too bad this is my last week to work there before I go to college.

12. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    Ha! Ever since I heard from our IT guy that the boss can see every thing you do on the net I play Freecell. Very enjoyable. Just make sure you erase your statistics every few 100 games.

13. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Damn those evil corporate bast@rds for expecting you to work while at work!

I'm at work now, my office doesn't have a problem with surfing if tis in moderation.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ditto.

15. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    They canned an IS guy in our company just the other day for "Excessive Personal Internet Use". (Our IS dept. probably has about 500+ employees)

Rumor has it that his termination actually has more to do with a customer (fellow employee) who had comlained about his work, causing him to gripe and complain about people's expectations. He was a nice guy, but did have a problem getting things right the first time.

I think for my company the will not really fire you for personal internet use, but if they want to fire you for something that they legally can't, then they will pull that rabbit out. I'm always surprised at the sites that they *DON'T* have blocked, like E-Bay, Kazza, etc. while blocking nearly everything that is categorized as "hobbies" "Swimsuits" etc. We're a Not-for-Profit hospital. There is no business need for e-bay access, but I have had a significant amount of actual work research blocked by their strange Websense restrictions.

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    If im not on TB at work the IT department just assumes i'm on a sick day.

17. oldgreyOlds

oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    tell everyone in your office the IT guy is a snitch. The office-wide resentment of the man will surely make up for his getting you in ****.

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Poop in his shoes...

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Add me to the list. I used to be the guy who monitored internet usage. It was fun for a bit, until everyone in the building figured out what I did. I left that job for a network engineer position.

-Mike

20. I probably won't get in too much trouble, just a stern don't do it again sorta thing.

And its not that Im a lazya$$ who doesn't work, just that I can get all my stuff done in about half the day. ;)