1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got Ripped Off By Someone in Canada; But This Story Has a Happy Ending

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by mball88, Mar 23, 2013.

1. mball88

mball88

Dec 17, 2011
    San Francisco
    So, I entered into a trade contract with a guy in Canada to trade my Jazz Bass for his Rickenbacker. The deal was to be simultaneous mailing. Long story short, I mailed off my baby only to receive a piece of sh*t Ibanez not worth $100. Canadian claimed that he sent me the real bass, but it must have gotten switched in the mail. Aside from being obvious bullsh*t, the problem with his story was that the weight on the waybill that he signed was too light to be a Rickenbacker in its case, as agreed. After a number of angry calls and emails, I sued the living crap out of him in Canada. It took 18 months, but he eventually settled the lawsuit by wiring me the Jazz bass' value. I got the money two days ago. Moral of the story: despite our American stereotypes, there are folks north of the border willing to rip you off. Other moral of the story: never underestimate the value of a small claims court action, even in a cross-border transaction.

2. Was it Evan's Ibby eh?

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Touché!!! Good win fellow TB'er. Lots a bs though. Good for you for hanging in there with it.

4. mball88

mball88

Dec 17, 2011
    San Francisco
    Thanks, Gregmon. I had had that bass since the 1980s. I was not about to let the weasel get away with it!

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I was thinking the exact same thing.

6. bakerbass

bakerbass

Apr 9, 2012
    This must have been extremely stressful. Well done for persevering.

7. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm not quite sure how this person's being Canadian is particularly relevant. I wonder how long this thread would last if the title was "got ripped off by a black guy"? Oh, and congratulations on getting your due.

8. Wow. Glad you posted this and had the cajones to take it to the next level!!

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Those bloody Canadians... ;)

10. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    their flapping heads so full of lies!

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Many people are afraid to pursue a dirtbag in court. Many more wouldn't bother if that person was in another country. That, to me, seemed to be the relevance of stating that the defendant was Canadian.

12. I have done many deals with Canadians and all have been great....it can happen anywhere.

13. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I can see the relevance in the main body of the text but not so much in the title. I'm not in the least bit nationalistic but I can't help but think there's a bit of a double standard where certain aspects of a person's identity are concerned. Not a big thing, perhaps, but I did find the thread title a bit weird.

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Don't analyze a part, but rather the full message. You'll be happier that way. ;)

15. BAce

BAce

Jul 31, 2012
    I read the whole message. Perhaps it would have been a little more palatable to the sensitive ones had you said "I got ripped off by someone in a different country, but I won in the end". I've been ripped off by people of different nationalities too, but I think I would be careful not to appear to be painting an entire nation or it's people with a brush. Glad you got things settled out but it's too bad it took all of 18 months. And, yes indeed, the guy was a dirtbag.

16. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah, but then I wouldn't be living up to my reputation as someone who over-analyzes things. :p

17. Despite the many attributes bestowed upon on us (i.e. Canadians) through out the World....We can't all "be on the up and up eh??" Take off eh!

:p

Marc "I speak the frenchy"...

18. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

I try to hose every Yankee I meet. It's too easy, they are so naive about the world outside their borders. Those senior citizens down there are particularly easy marks. I've stolen 100 identities so far this year and its still March.

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I don't think the OP was trying to make a statement about Canadians, I think he was emphasizing the cross border court system.

It is funny to watch you guys claim not to be nationalistic, while being totally nationalistic though. lol

20. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

I think we are (outside Quebec anyway) more nationalistic than you think. I think it comes from decades of the threat of Quebec separating hanging over us. We know we have to stick together so if Quebec goes we can stand shoulder to shoulder and present them with the invoice for all the federal stuff they'll want to take with them. Heh heh :p