Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got Rush in Rio for Christmas...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by embellisher, Dec 27, 2004.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

...and man, it rocks!

I missed them on the last couple of tours, and was bummed that I missed what might be their last tour.

Well, watching this DVD on my HDTV gave me a lot better seat than I would have been able to get for the Dallas show.

I have been wanting this DVD since it came out, but every time I thought about getting it I was broke, and when I had money, of course, I didn't think about it.

My wife was sweet enough to pick me up a copy and surprised me with it Christmas morning.

I wouldn't let anybody else use the home theater setup until I had watched both discs!:D

I know there have been three or four threads on this, but the most recent one was almost 3 months old, so...

2. Cool beans, Jeff! Glad you finally got it. Are they the greatest band ever, or what? :hyper:

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That DVD does kill!

4. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Excellent DVD!

Anyone know where I can get dryers like the ones Geddy uses? I love the tone he gets out of them! :D

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    dave, maytag doesn't make 8 ohm dryers!! ;)

jeff, congrats on the DVD!

:)

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  7. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Did you figure out the Easter Eggs ?

8. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Congrats Jeff,. it`s an amazing show. The crowd is so energetic that`s really contagious. I had the opportunity to be in that show but never knew that Rush was touring South America (I realized about it 2 weeks after they were gone)

BTW, knowing that Geddy is one of your main influences and
    that you own a Geddy Lee sig model, do you think you can
    nail his tone ?

9. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    That DVD got me into Rush... I saw it in a store one day and thought "wait, isn't Geddy Lee the guy they always praise on Talkbass??" and I bought it. It isn't the best sounding DVD, but the setlist is to die for! :D And plus the RIR version of "Red Sector A" is the best thing they've ever done. :bassist:

10. embellisher

I can get pretty close to it.

Back in the early 90's, I played a Peavey Foundation with Superwound .030 .050 .070 .090 exposed core strings, through a cranked to the max Peavey TNT 130.

Hard to believe, but that cheap bass and amp combo, with those strings, and my fingers, nailed the tone 100%.

Too bad I can't play like him!

11. embellisher

Haven't had time yet, maybe this weekend.

12. embellisher

Dave, there are better musicians out there, and probably better bands. Rush was my #1 favorite band in 1981 when I discovered them at 15, and have remained #1 in my book ever since.

I have had a lot of second and third favorite bands come and go since then, but none has ever managed to replace Rush as #1.

The thing that is amazing to me is that all three members are at the top of their craft. And over the years, Geddy has become a very accomplished vocalist and keyboardist, too.

So many bands have a great guitarist, a killer drummer, or (more rarely) an awesome bassist.

I cannot recall any three piece band that has three players as near the top of their craft as these guys.

Yes, there are better bassists. And vocalists. And guitarists. And even drummers, outside of the rock genre.

But what other three piece band has three people as talented as Geddy, Alex and Neil?

I need to watch the DVDs again!:D

13. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Rush gives me great hope I'll be going at it as aggressively as they do when I'm in my 50s. ;)

I saw them last summer on the R30 tour (I hadn't seen them in some 10 years, far too long.) and it was a revelation. These veteran guys up there just absolutely tearing it up! I know there are fans who don't like a lot of their newer stuff (and I'll agree that nothing will quite come close to the magic of the Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures-era), but I really like how Neil has loosened up, and the band as a whole grooves harder now. A little less math, a little more soul.

Oh... the DVD... yeah, I think I'll pop 'em in later on today. :cool:

14. Well said, man. We discovered Rush the same year. :)
    Rush as a whole truly is more than the sum of its formidable parts. That's what you get after playing together for 30 years, I guess!

15. Theodeus

Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    Even more rare: Petrucci, Myung, Portnoy and Rudess in Dream Theater. They´re all top-notch if you ask me.
    Well, suppose you didn´t... :cool: <-- This smily should really be :geddy: :p

16. embellisher

Good quartet of talent there, but I prefer Lee, Lifeson and Peart to Myung, Petrucci and Portnoy. But I do like Dream Theater.

17. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Great DVD. I have a hard time keeping my drummer and his dad (also a drummer) away from it :p

18. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've heard rumors of a R30 show that was taped or a near-future show to be recorded for another DVD, that LLP were fairly disappointed in the sound and video/edit quality of the show. Not that it's bad per se, but that it could be *better* in terms of audio production (they had to really work to get this to the level it is), MTV-style quick edits and superloud audience levels in the 5.1 mix (my personal two "issues" with it, and why I listen in straight 2.0 most of the time.) I personally wouldn't consider it a "double dip" if these issues were addressed, but I'd imagine that would be a major "industry" point-of-view.

Reason #2 for a "new" DVD: Between The Wheels, Overture 2004 (Finding My Way, Anthem, Bastille Day, A Passage to Bangkok, Cygnus X-1, Hemispheres Prelude Instrumental) Medley, and the covers live.

Reason #3: Neil's 30th anniversary DW kit in black sparkle and "holographic" Starman kick graphic. :eek:

But as much as I can nitpick about RiR (I still think it's a solid B+) I think the "hidden" gem is "The Boys In Brazil" documentary on disc two. I've been a Rush fan pretty much all my life, and I don't think Neil's ever been so open to "the camera's eye". Kudos to him for giving the fans a peak, especially after what he's been through the last 7 years. Besides, if you've past 50 and can still do this, you should have the right to release whatever you damn well please. :D

[​IMG]

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

But the singer's voice/lyrics (and occasionally Petrucci) ruin everything that Myung, Rudess, and Portnoy do for me.