1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got screwed by another venue again....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jonas_24112, Aug 15, 2012.

1. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Jul 11, 2011
    I had a past thread where the bar manager of a venue claimed it was "employee appreciation night" and employees and their guests get in free. We lost between $100-200 at the door that night. We talked to the owner about it, he took our side, said it would not happen again and he would make it up to us. We had one more gig booked there. We played it, the management argued with us again that employees get in free. We would not let them in and have not booked there again. Here's that past thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f67/venue-troubles-881434/index2.html

The newest screwing.......We have another regular venue that pays us a guarantee + door up to a maximum amount. Last gig, we were payed the guarantee plus $20. We personally brought 5 people in our own cars that we know paid the $7 cover, so if only those friens showed up, it should have been the guarantee + $35. But, not including our friends, it was the largest crowd we have had in that bar since we started playing there. Our BL and manager have both tried to call the bar and have gotten no response since. Our last gig is booked there next month and we will definitely be talking to them about it then.

I have friends that play in bands at these bars on a regular basis. I know they don't pay attention to what's taken in at the door. Should I inform them of what happended to us?

Go ahead, tell your screwed out of money stories.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Contract! If not, get a guarantee set price. This playing for the door thing is nonsense unless you're throwing the event yourself!

Have had a few clubs try to short us (uh well, we didn't do that great tonight)! What does that have to do with us??

One time, when I still lived in NY, one venue tried to short us on our set fee. We packed up after one set! Buh bye!

Bottom line.....if you let them get away with it, they will continue to do it.

3. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    We had a bar tell us that virtually all of the paying patrons were actually regulars, so we didn't get paid for them -- packed bar (200 people, probably) and we got paid for about 20. If you have the leverage to play for a fixed fee, do it. Another thing to try up front is to ask for a list of exceptions -- you might not have the clout to demand anything, but you can try to sniff out their tricks up front, or at least try to paint them in a corner so they can't screw you with a straight face. But in the end one gig won't kill you, and if the bar screws you, don't go back -- you can count on them always looking for ways to screw you when you're they're, so why go back?

4. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1

Just like DW said....CONTRACT!!! If the douchebag won't sign....DON'T play there. Simple.

AND.... make SURE you put on the Contract that:

" The Band requires 30 days notice of ANY cancellation for ANY reason in said performance booked "

Get all the bands to quit playing there. The owners a douchebag.

The ONLY story I have is this:

Service Club booked my 4 pc Band for New Years Eve. They didnt advertise, and ticket sales were really poor. The President tried to cancel 5 days before the Dance. I said, that's fine, but you still owe me $1600.00 (My Dance Price ). He said that's unfair. I said well, you're cancelling with LESS than 30 DAYS notice.

We settled on half. That way, all Band members got $200.00 for doing NOTHING, and got to go out with their Wives for New Years.:ninja:

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm sorry and I know in some parts of the country you don't have options, but IMO gigs "for the door" are B.S.

Either a bar guarantees my band's full asking price... irrespective of attendance... or they find another band. And that money is put in our BL's hands before we play the first note. That's just how we roll. There's way too much opportunity for shady dealing any other way.

6. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Anybody who plays for the door, & doesn't have their own person handling that door, is just asking to get screwed.

If a club is going to have an "Employee Appreciation Night" that lets off-duty employees in with no cover when there otherwise would be one, then that club should be contributing the employees' shares toward the cover charge. After all, who is supposed to be doing the "appreciating" here?

7. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    How is it your problem that they let people in for free (which I doubt they really did)? My view is that anyone not on the guest list paid the cover charge.

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Are you sure it wasn't supposed to be a guarantee AGAINST the door?

9. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    You betcha they paid...basic ol' owner taking advantage of the handshake deal. I'd like to say it was a learning experience, but that band never really learned how to handle gigs better (we parted ways several years ago)...

10. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Back in the 90's (before I joined), the guys in my band were playing a pretty big club gig. At the end of the night, the owner handed the singer $12 (yes, $12) instead of the several hundred that was agreed upon. The guitar player confronted the owner, but the owner just made matters worse by swearing at him up and down and threatening to call the cops. Guitar player left without saying saying a word, then proceeded to back his truck into their entrance awning -- tearing it off the building and leaving it in ruins. Then he wrote a song about the ordeal, which we still play to this day. Rock & Roll, baby!

11. I've said it before but I'll say it again. If all musicians threatened to throw bricks through windows when they were ripped off, and followed up, word would soon get around not to mess with us.

Manager: "there was a problem and we're only paying you this much"
    BL: "you wanna brick through the window?"
    Manager: "here's your money, don't come back"

A nice half a red brick should be standard equipment in the bottom of the cable bin.

12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I got shorted at a bar long ago in the 90s. We decided to make up the cost of it in beer glasses. During load out, we'd each grab a few beer glasses and put it into our cars. By the end of the night we had one car with a back seat full of beer glasses. I broke the last beer glass from that moment sometime this year.

13. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Back when i was in a cover band playing lead guitar we got screwed like this, playing a club and the owner tried to short our fee by about 20% (we had a contract as well) so our singer goes up on stage and says to the 150+ people there "Sorry everyone were packing up cause the owner broke his contract and is stiffing us. If you liked our first set we are playing at [other venue] over on [street address] next Monday so come by!" The owners face was fantastic :p

I don't think that was entirely the right approach to the situation however i was just a 16y/o kid who was happy to be allowed in haha

definitely never went back to that place again...

14. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Actually that was sheer genius. Great thinking on his feet by that singer.

15. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The sheer genius is getting paid before the show is over.

16. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    Back when musicians had unions getting paid wasn't an issue and they didn't even have to throw their own bricks. Can you imagine what would happen if someone stiffed Sanatra? Getting gigs was also a breeze for the well connected. Remember what happened to that producer in the Godfather who didn't want to hire that crooner Johnny for his movie? He wished it was a brick he woke up with! :D

17. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Wasn't getting paid before the show was over. The owner came up to our BL between the halfway break and tried to negotiate the price down saying they would give us each a $50 tab if we cut the deal down, cool but only the BL was legal... He wouldn't have any of it and got right pissed.

18. CONTRACT!!! We get payed in Advance on most private gigs- like a week or a month in advance.
    Pub gigs we've got a SET amount down & we go get it either B4 we START or after 1st of 3 sets.
    Obviously all 8 of us ain't gonna pack up & leave to 400 or so ppl there with no band- + they're all(well 90%) there to see us, so it'd be real dumb for us to do.
    We've been playing this pub for 10yrs. but in the 1st few gigs there, we did this & it's stuck the same- we treat them well & they do the same.

19. This.

This arrangement is not unusual, rather than a fee plus door.

20. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Contract, get it in writing or else you are screwed.
    Even with a contract you are screwed.
    It's a ****** business.