Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got some Blood, Sweat, and Tears today

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Mar 31, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My parents got me a BST cd for Easter. It was just one of those 6.98 type cds you get out of the bargain bin with really unthoughtful packaging and what not. I didn't know much about them except their signature song "Spinning Wheel" but God, this disc blows me away. It's all a bunch of covers of popular songs, done all jazzy. (Stuff like Ride Captain Ride and Fire and Rain) Some great bass playing I must add.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Verdine White is one of my favorite bass players. I like many Earth, Wind and Fire songs, but I guess my favorite would be "That's the Way of the World" (Hearts of Fire). I'm glad you have discovered this band and are enjoying their special kind of music.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    ummm.... do you realize that you are talking about an entirely different band? The only similarities are the fact that they both have horns and the word AND in their names:D

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey JO-
    DOH!

The 2nd Blood, Sweat, & Tears album is essential, IMO. Really, you can't go too wrong with any of the first four("Fire & Rain" is found on 3).
    Jimmy Fielder is a helluva player...he can Funk it, Jazz it, Rock it, Swing it, R&B it, etc.
    There's an R&B/Funker on the 2nd album called "Smilin' Phases"...whew! ;)
    "Lucretia MacEvil" has a nice 2-bar R&B verse/vamp(nice little workout @tempo!).
    I like how BS&T wheel inside & out of different musical genres...
    "God Bless The Child" has a Gospel-ish 6/8 thing goin' on & then kicks into a Latin-ish 4/4 thingee.
    "Spinning Wheel" has that nice Swing section during Lew Soloff's trumpet solo...the outro is weird! 9/8, anyone?

As far as Earth, Wind, & Fire goes-
    Of late, I've been exploring their EARLY albums(all prior to Phillip Bailey)...very cool, NOT yet the Pop band they were destined to become.
    The 1st album hints of Sly & The Family Stone...the Chicago Free Jazz influence is also apparent on EW&F's first 1-3 records.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes, that songs on this disc also. It's my favorite so far. I love how it starts out as a R&B tune, then breaks down in the middle and has that killer walking bass part.

Steve Winwood has a writing credit on it. Was it orginally a Spencer Davis Tune?

6. Wow Jim I can't believe you beat me here.

:)

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    No, it's an early Traffic song.

8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Bet some of these young guys would be astounded to find there was some killer bass playing happening "back in the day". :D

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I refer to things that happened 3 years ago to "back in the day"........God, I feel old. :( :D ;)

10. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    BS&T is a great band. My dad introduced me to their music when I was but a wee lad (4 or 5 years old). I've loved them ever since.

My funk/soul/R&B band plays "Spinning Wheel" and "Go Down Gamblin" already, which are both extremely fun tunes. We've just started rehearsing "Lucretia MacEvil" and we're also thinking of doing their version of "God Bless the Child".

11. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Earth Wind & Fire... yeah. We do "In the Stone" and their version of "Got to get you into my life". What a fantastic band man.