Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got some D'Addario Pro Steels

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I went to GC, and since they were out of DRs, I asked what the guy recommended for rock and metal. NEVER TRUST A GC REP! I got the Pro Steels he recommended, and I hate them. They are very twangy, wayyy too bright, and definately not what I was looking for. I have been told that the Nickels D'Addario makes are better, so I'm not holding anything against the company... But I do not like the Pro Steels at all. I'm thinking that I'll go Nickel DRs (I'm thinking Lo-Riders, what do you think?) as soon as these wear out, or maybe before. Keep in mind that I am using a 5 string, and I think these strings were the biggest gague they had. Anyway, just my ears. I'm sure these might sound great to someone somewhere...
    /end rant

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I agree with you on every point, especially the one about trusting a salesman at GC. Pro Steels are NOTHING like DRs. Take them back and read him the riot act.

3. I think you should listen to me and get a set of Blue Steels. They're fat, and not particular bright (like me). If you don't like 'em, that's ok. I live too far away to have you showing up at my door anyway ;) Nickel Lo-Riders sound like a good choice too.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The Blue Steels are decent, as are the D'Addario nickels. I prefer DR's over either. Pro Steels are, and remain, the absolutely worst string I've ever tried, by a LARGE margin.

5. Funny, now I'm getting curious. I thought Pro Steels were liked by most. What is it you guys don't like about them?

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Pro Steels have a HUGE, absolutely uncontrollable bottom end, and bright, clanky, brittle highs. There are absolutely no mids and any bass I've tried with them gets immediately swallowed up in the mix. I'm amazed ANY time I see a player post they like them. They are the absolute antithises of good bass tone to me. It's like FiElDy in a box. I'm absolutely honest in that I've NEVER tried a set of strings in almost 30 years of playing that I dislike half as much as the pro steels.

7. Hehe... excellent post :) I now totally understand why you dont like these strings, and I'm shure I wont either. Thanks :)

..."FiElDy in a box"... heheh :D

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    :D Not to mention they are ultra stiff and rough on the fingers.

We've all got different basses, amps, tastes, and fingers ... and some people really DO like them. I don't.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    They make me sound like the bassist in Korn! :crying:

10. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    ...my experience too.
    But the daddario exl 165 bring my P-Bass to life

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    This is why opinions are a great thing - I love ProSteels, think they're great in the upper-end and harmonics, have nice tight low/low-mids through my rig, and I'm generally a fan of tighter tension and rougher feeling strings.

...but everyone's been extremely eloquent in why ProSteels don't work for them, and I respect that immensely. A large market of bass strings is a wonderful thing in cases like these.

12. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I've tried one pair so far...sounded perfectly fine to me and I've been using steels for a decade. I can't comprehend how any steel string could have "no mids". Nickels, yes...but steels?

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Wow man, you got a two-string bass?

While not my favorite, I do like the pro steels. They last a very long time.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Our ears must differ greatly. I usually hear a great deal more midrange out of nickel strings than just about any steel string, and I normally use steel strings.

15. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I personnally like ProSteels on my Sadowsky RV5. The highes are a little more behaved than the Sadowsky steels that came on the bass which makes them easier to use in mellow applications IMO. Yet they can sparkle expecially with a touch of treble boost or even better favoring the front pickup. The lows are clear and punchy (more so than XLs). I agree there is some mid scoop to the sound but I tend to add mids at the EQ anyway. Set flat, they do not cut as well as XLs. But I am a mids junky and seldom play without boosted mids, usually at 800 Hz.

I have received numerous compliments on my tone since putting the ProSteels on. The B string in the 45-100-130 set is OK, not great IMO. I just ordered another set and added a tapered B string a la carte for A/B comparison.

My biggest complaint is the broken D string I just experienced. First broken string in three years.

Dave

16. prosteels are my third favorite steel string ive tried. 1st is DR highbeams, and 2nd are MTD's. I thought the prosteels were a touch thinner than the other 2, but still had a good voice. I also like that theyre cheap. :smug:

17. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Me Too

18. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I said one PAIR didn't I?

:bag:

19. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    D'Addario are really pushing these hard. Just about every
    music-store-guy I've bumped into over the last few months
    has been trying to dump a load of them on me.
    I've got 2 packs in my drawer - the 2 lightest gauges they
    make - but I haven't gotten around to trying them yet -
    my rotosounds still ain't broke ; )

Sounds to me like they're just not very well suited for rock.
    probably more for the flamenco slap-n-tap styles which are
    becoming quite commonplace nowadays.

I got them simply cuz they were D'Addario, and they were
    dirt cheap! :D

20. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    I play hard rock with a hint of folk rock. My tone is fairly Geddy Lee esque; Excellent mids and strong lows, but with a great high-end snarl, and some distortion.

That's my tone, and the Prosteels are the closest to the tone in my head I have been yet. Second were the D'addario nickels, which I had on before them.