1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got some GK 2001rb questions for ya

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Holy War, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    I thinking of trading my Mesa BB750 for a GK 2001rb

Im just a little worried that it might be a bit too hi fi or modern sounding. My biggest influences are Mastodon, Isis, High on Fire, Electric Wizard, Baroness, Sleep, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, AC/DC, TOOL, AIC, Guns N Roses, STP, Atomic Bitchwax, and Clutch

I prefer passive basses and my staple includes a MIA jazz and a MIA P and a EBMM Stingray

Also, I will be using my mesa road ready powerhouse 1000 cab with 4x10 and 1x15. Will it compliment the GK well or should I get a different cab to go with it?

As a reference, this is what Im working with now

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I'd keep what you have. that tone sounds like it would cut pretty well in a band setting.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1, I mean the GK's a fine amp and all, but that's downgrading imo. You've got a killer rig, be happy.

4. I'd have to disagree, if it was a 400+ I'd say keep it, but the Mesa solid state amps didn't impress me much. I'd say try the GK and see what you think. It definitely does deep, dirty growl, if that's what you're looking for.

5. I am not familiar with mesa, have never used their gear, but if you did switch I certainly don't think you would lose anything in tone. Just my opinion based on listening to your Youtube vids. Killer Marshall stack by they way.

6. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    its actually got a tube pre amp...so its a hybrid

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The GK 2001RB will have a lot more power than the Mesa BB750. The tone will likely be a bit mellower as I've always found the BB to be a rock-specific head. The GK 2001RB is definitely not a hi-fi, sterile sounding head. I always found it to be quite warm and punchy.

Out of those two heads I would go with the GK, even though they're both great.

8. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    i guess I need to take my head to GC this weekend and a/b the two to see which one I like. I playing in a power trio now so cutting through is not that much of an issue, but Im starting up a new project with two guitar players with 100 watt rigs so it will be an issue there.

GK web site says this:

Dual 540watts (2 ohms) or 1080wattsbridged (4ohms) plus dual 50watt Horn Bi-Amp System

Kinda foreign territory to me. I know that to get the full 750 watts of my BB750 I have to daisy chain 2 4 ohm cabs together to run it at 2 ohms, but how does it work with the GK? How do I get the full juice out of it?

9. I play progressive metal and I swear by my 2001 rb. I have owned my other brands before and couldn't find my sound until I started playing GK. The 2001 is great for what you're playing. :p

10. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    I use the 2001rb with a mesa 412. I think the GK/Mesa combination is excellent. I never cared much for mesa heads myself. The GK head has been the most accurate head I've ever used...giving me whatever tone I desire in a straightforward manner. The mesa cab reproduces that signal as accurately as I've ever heard. Definitely try it out. The extra power of the 2001rb is an awesome bonus.

11. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    awesome man, thanks for the heads up!

12. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    By the way, I have the same musical influences that you listed, and similar instruments.

13. To get the full output of the GK you bridge the amp and get either 650 watts into 0ne 8 ohm cab or 1080 watts into 2 8 ohm cabs giving you 4 ohms,or 1080 into 1 4 ohm cab.;)

14. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    1080 at 4 ohms? You sure about that?

edit: nvm, I answered my own question, youre right

so with my 4 ohm Mesa cab I can push the full 1080 without another cab...interesting

15. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, it is definitely 1080 @ 4 ohms. And monstrous.

I would pick the 2001 over a 750 any day of the week. Solid head, many sounds, built in distortion that is usable.

The downside is it's only around 300w per side if you're going dual mono and has no balance knob AFAIK. So it's pretty much meant to be run bridged.

16. Billygoat666

Billygoat666

Sep 19, 2007
    I've owned both of those amps and currently own the BB 750. In my opinion having played through both at great length, the Mesa kills and I find it to have much more personality and grit. Even without the overdrive engaged on the BB, you can get an awesome sounding tubey grind from it that lends itself particularly well to the kinds of music you're describing. My friend who is a huge Mastodon fan recently told me that he was watching footage of them and Troy was running the Big Block.

My experience with the GK was that it was somewhat sterile and lifeless. I didn't keep it for long. Also, as far as only running 550w from the big block, you're not going to need more volume or headroom than that. My friend was concerned that 550w wasn't going to get loud enough for him but I finally convinced him to buy it. He called a week later to thank me for talking him into it. It will get loud enough to rip faces off. Period.

17. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    well im going for a trade in the classifides now. we'll see if anyone bites