Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got some neck wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Zebra, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    A piece of quarter-sawn maple and enough dark, nicely grained pau ferro for two fingerboards plus some leftovers. I was originally thinking ebony, but it's pricey and the pau ferro was intriguing anyways.
    Sooo, I'm also thinking I'll scrap the lines idea, since it'd be a shame to distract from that beautiful pau ferro. I'll go with side dots plus other side lines to mark the would-be line positions. I know about putting in the dots, but is there a good way to make lines on the side of the fretboard without having them show up on the edge of the face of the fretboard?
    So I guess I should start by outlining the shape of the neck onto the maple plank, then I'll go to somone with the tools to cut that out.

2. Not impossible but difficult - we're only talking about a 3/16" line at the longest. I might be tempted to test using a ground down sharp chisel type thing to make a die to punch a notched line for filling. Then, at the least, if I could get the line established, I could go over it with my Dremel to deepen the line enough.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    How about this:
    Carefully mark the locations (of course)
    Saw a slot at an angle to the surface, i.e. a little bit down into the back of the board, and stop exactly at the edge of the front.
    Fill with a nice veneer.

Worked fine for me, though I did it the other way - short lines on the front and edge of the board.

4. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I cheated and used a backing piece behind the fingerboard. Then I just put fret markers into it and glued the fingerboard on top to cover the whole thing. Of course, this made for an awfully thick neck (I used a 1/4" backing piece), but since it's on my EUB I think it's forgivable.

-Nate