Got some neck wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Zebra, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    A piece of quarter-sawn maple and enough dark, nicely grained pau ferro for two fingerboards plus some leftovers. I was originally thinking ebony, but it's pricey and the pau ferro was intriguing anyways.
    Sooo, I'm also thinking I'll scrap the lines idea, since it'd be a shame to distract from that beautiful pau ferro. I'll go with side dots plus other side lines to mark the would-be line positions. I know about putting in the dots, but is there a good way to make lines on the side of the fretboard without having them show up on the edge of the face of the fretboard?
    So I guess I should start by outlining the shape of the neck onto the maple plank, then I'll go to somone with the tools to cut that out.
  2. Not impossible but difficult - we're only talking about a 3/16" line at the longest. I might be tempted to test using a ground down sharp chisel type thing to make a die to punch a notched line for filling. Then, at the least, if I could get the line established, I could go over it with my Dremel to deepen the line enough.
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    How about this:
    Carefully mark the locations (of course)
    Saw a slot at an angle to the surface, i.e. a little bit down into the back of the board, and stop exactly at the edge of the front.
    Fill with a nice veneer.

Worked fine for me, though I did it the other way - short lines on the front and edge of the board.
  4. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I cheated and used a backing piece behind the fingerboard. Then I just put fret markers into it and glued the fingerboard on top to cover the whole thing. Of course, this made for an awfully thick neck (I used a 1/4" backing piece), but since it's on my EUB I think it's forgivable.